Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Automatically Tying Contacts to Companies? Can it be done?

Automatically Tying Contacts to Companies? Can it be done?

I have a brand new ACT DB and have approximately 2,000 companies to import and approximately 4,000 contacts to import from a different SQL DB.  I have everything exported into Excel and then saved some smaller test tab delimited txt files to ensure it will work before doing the mass dump.  So far so good.  Each test import contains about 7-10 contacts or companies.

I can import the contacts as well as the companies with no problem.  My problem/question is:   When I import the contacts, I want them to be linked to the proper company.  After the contact import, the company field is filled in when viewing the contact, but it is not "underlined" and therefore not showing up as if the contact is part of that company.  I hope that makes sense.

I can select the lookup box next to the company field and browse to/select the company and it's fine.  But I don't want to have to manually do this for 4,000 contacts.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Copper Contributor

Re: Automatically Tying Contacts to Companies? Can it be done?

I had the exact same issue when we bought Act 2008.  I was told that it was a manual process.  Welcome to Act!

Thanks for the reply. I ended up contact support and was evenutally told the same thing.  I didn't believe him at first since I have done this with Microsoft CRM at another company.  Oh well...  time to get some data entry people to start clicking. Smiley Happy

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

You can auto-link (even create) Companies when importing Contacts with itImport

itImport Pro will also import directly from SQL

Message Edited by GLComputing on 04-05-2009 05:47 AM
Tuned Listener

I have had the same problem I imported 400 contacts and 400 companies and then found this post saying it wasn't possible to automatically link them.  I have created a small application that does this for me, it is quite slow but a lot faster than doing it manually.  If you would like a copy I can send it to you.

Thanks,

John.

I would love a copy of to give it a test.  Dave @ theworldscoolestwebpage com

Thanks!