Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Automated data entry into ACT fields

Copper Super Contributor

Automated data entry into ACT fields

Our company sell support services to some but not all or our customers  I want to know if act can automatically fields based on specific critria,  for example,  update a contact field based on a change to a custom field changed on the associated company.

Here is the process:-

*  I get a sales lead and enter a new contact

* Only when they place an order do I enter a new company and then add the contact to the company

*  If they buy extended support then I will enter Active from a drop down list in the Support Status field (that I have added myself) 

* In a second custom field Support Renewal Date it will show what date the support expires.

I regulary send emails only to contacts from companies who have ACTIVE support so I need act to do the following

1)  When I change the support status field in the company to active I want it to automatically update a second filed on the contacts table to show the  active status for all the listed contact for that company 

2) When the renewal date has expired I want it to change the Support Status field from ACTIVE to LAPSED.

Any advise?

I have used Filemaker Pro for many years and it is very simple to set this type of thing up in FMP but Act seems more constrained.

I hope you can advise

Best regards

Jim 

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Automated data entry into ACT fields

I have kind of got this sorted with Linked fields - It is not very elegant but it works.

However it occurred to me that users could change the details on the contact's form - which of course would not be updated on the link company field and worse would be overwritten if the link fields were updated..

I thought that the solution was to change the field security (contacts) to read only, thus stopping unwanted user changes in contacts - but it appears that it will not then let linked fields be updated automatically when changes are made in the company layout.

Is there any way to force users to update the "master" field on the company's page and NOT the linked field on contacts???

Regards

Jim
Nickel Super Contributor

What about "educating" the users, and modifyin the contact layout so that it looks as if the field cannot be modified.  Say making the background grey and the text a slightly different shade of grey?

Rita Kogstad
RKA Associates
Stamford, CT
Copper Super Contributor

Thank you for your idea - I have implemented this with a red text message beside the field

We are experiencing similar problem and we are using the new version.  HELP!!!

the cursor keeps jumping to another field when we are doing data entry - doesn't matter how long ACT's been open or reminders.