Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Automated Backups

Automated Backups

Is there any way to set up a scheduled backup of the ACT Database? We have ACT 10.1 on a Windows XP PC in a LAN environment.

Thanks

Ray
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Automated Backups

Hi Ray,

If you are using the premium version of the software, you can schedule an automatic backup through the ACT Scheduler.

Take a look at this KB:

Platinum Elite Contributor

If you're using Premium, use the method Amanda pointed to. If not, post again and I'll let you know how to do this

[ Edited ]
I am using ACT! Premium for Workgroups 2006, and we currently use the scheduler, but it doesn't allow me to overwrite the backup that it creates. Instead it creates a new backup zip file with the day's date in the file name. I need it to just overwrite the existing backup, or overwrite only 10 files or so. If this goes unmanaged, it fills up the hard drive. We backup the file that the act scheduler creates using Symantec Backup Exec, and if i create a job to backup the folder where act scheduler backs up to, my symantec jobs get bigger every time. This is not how it should be.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Jon

Message Edited by jonreid on 04-04-2008 08:18 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

The feature of specifying the number of backups stored was add with ACT! 2008.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

So that's the Solution? I have to upgrade Everyone to 2008? I've read so many forums where users had nothing but problems trying to upgrade to 2008.
Nickel Elite Contributor

There was a problem with ACT! 2008 version 10.0.0 and 10.0.1 due to the number of policy files causing resources being depleted. That was changed with version 10.0.2 so that system resources are not depleted. If you upgrade make sure it is directly to version 10.0.2.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

I use the ACT scheduler to create the date named ZIP backup, then the Windows Task Scheduler with the forfiles.exe command (http://www.ss64.com/nt/forfiles.html) to delete all ZIP files older than 2 days, e.g. if your backup ZIP files are in D:\BACKUP,

FORFILES.EXE -pD:\BACKUP -m*.ZIP -d-2 -c"Cmd /C del /q @FILE"