Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Auto updating to V20 warning

Accepted Solution Solved
Bronze Elite Contributor
Accepted Solution

Auto updating to V20 warning

Just to let users know I had another instance yesterday where ACT V19 prompted to update but then downloaded ACT V20.

This is dangerous as if the person had installed V20 the database would have upgraded and other V19 users would not have had access.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author ch1p
‎01-13-2018 03:29 AM
Administrator

Re: Auto updating to V20 warning

Thanks for raising this ch1p,

We have a review planned to look at this messaging, and ensure this is very clear on the need to coordinate upgrades in shared and synchronizing environments. It's maybe also worth noting that the preference to automatically check for product updates is disabled by default in Act! Premium.

Since v19, it's been normal protocol for the update service to present the latest release to active subscribers. We do however allow new releases a number of weeks 'in market' before they are enabled on the service.

Just let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns here.

Regards,

Stuart

View solution in original post

All Replies
Administrator

[ Edited ]

Hi ch1p,

This is actually intended behaviour. In order to make sure customers are able to maximise value from Act, and to help avoid bugs and issues, customers will be prompted to update if their serial key allows for it.

So a customer with an active subscription will be prompted to update to v20 from v19.2 etc.

It has been raised by some members of the ACC community that this has the potential to cause some issues, as you've mentioned, with users upgrading out of turn. 

This is a valid concern, though it's worth bearing in mind, that upgrading the database schema does require Administrator access. So it's worth making sure that any users with administrator access to the database are familiar with the process and consequences of updating.

These automatic update notifications can be turned off from the Preferences menu as well.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Thanks Gary

Not sure that I am comfortable with this as I can see remote syncing users upgrading by mistake. I take the point about turning this feature off but I can see it causing all sorts of confusion as then they will not get updates in version.

Be interested in what others think, at the least it should carry a very clear warning about not upgrading in a shared environment and to contact IT support or similar message. 

Solution
Accepted by topic author ch1p
‎01-13-2018 03:29 AM
Administrator

Thanks for raising this ch1p,

We have a review planned to look at this messaging, and ensure this is very clear on the need to coordinate upgrades in shared and synchronizing environments. It's maybe also worth noting that the preference to automatically check for product updates is disabled by default in Act! Premium.

Since v19, it's been normal protocol for the update service to present the latest release to active subscribers. We do however allow new releases a number of weeks 'in market' before they are enabled on the service.

Just let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns here.

Regards,

Stuart

Bronze Elite Contributor

Thanks for the reply and clarification. I always leave the setting to off but some clients just love to fiddle!!!!!!

Maybe it would be possible for the upgrade installation to detect if a database is syncing or a multiple user licence installation and display the appropriate message.

Copper Elite Contributor

Development would be amazed at how many customers that I have acquired that never had an ACC make far too many people administrators and also don't bother giving them a password. The message delivered should warn of SEVERE consequences.

Bob Kennedy
ACC
Kenbar Solutions CT,CA & FL
Bronze Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

In the UK (and also the whole EU area) new data protection law comes into place called GDPR on the 25th of May 2018

"If you do not have a password on your database you are breaking the law and the fines are eye watering!" (Interpretation by experts with far more knowledgeable brains than mine on legal jargon!!)

Copper Elite Contributor

the Problem that i see, 

on a Multiuser / Remote envoirment, if a user would update his act, (even if he can not update the database) it would cause issues, as a downgrade (uninstalling act v20 and reinstalling act 18 or 19 would probably fail) 

we have customers under subscription, who are still on V18 i.e. because of i.e. development made by companys or them self, who did not understand the rules, you should stick to when working with the SDK. 

So out of my understanding, the update msg should only be displayed  (with download link) if the user is Windows & Act Admin. in all other cases, you may want to display, something like "there is a update, you may want to inform/send a request  to your System-Admin" 

ACC since 1995
Developer of Addons for ACT

CrmAddon Factory
+1 203 541 0040
Administrator

Thanks for the feedback guys, we're definitely look at ways to make the messaging clearer!
Bronze Elite Contributor

From my take on this the word update should only be used for in version patches. Something like "A newer version of ACT is available" or similar wording plus the caveat Ingo suggested so that it clearly differentiates between updates and new releases of ACT.