Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Auto export of data without using ACT! Synchronization

Copper Contributor

Auto export of data without using ACT! Synchronization

I have an external online database which I would like to start using ACT to automatically update on a daily or regular basis.  The simple concept would involve having ACT export to a CSV file in a pre-defined column format which could then overwrite the information that is in the online database.

A more complex concept would involve using the synchronization functions of ACT, something I would like to aviod if possible (although I could be easily convinved into using it if someone says it is simple to use).

Any thoughts ?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Auto export of data without using ACT! Synchronization

The sync functions in ACT! can only be used to sync ACT! with ACT! for remote access... not to external databases.

There are tools like itExport that can automate exporting, or you could have something read the ACT! database via ODBC or OLEDB.

See: http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/07/connecting-to-act-by-sage-data.html

If you need the data to go both ways, we write some custom sync solutions to do that
Copper Contributor

Thanks Mike, just having a play around with the ACT Synch now.  I think I can get my external DB tooled up to grab data from an external ACT DB.  That might be how to do it. 

Will check out itExport now.  An automated export is all I think I really need. 

Just playing around with it at the moment but it might snowball into something worth investing a bit more into.  If this is the case we probably might need somthing custom so I will look you up if it heads that way.

Copper Contributor

yep had a look.  just tring to install what I hope is a trial version of itExport.

Copper Contributor

Thanks Mike.  Will do.