Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Auto copy fields to another field on import from Zapier

Auto copy fields to another field on import from Zapier

Act! Premium does not allow you to import 'address' fields when the data passes through Zapier.

I can create 'temporary' Act fields to receive the data.

Now I need a way to automatically add or update the permanent address fields.

Any suggestion welcome.

Adam Purser at Classic Sailing

PS I have asked Act! and Zapier to correct this but do not expect a solution any time soon!

Administrator

Re: Auto copy fields to another field on import from Zapier

Hi Adam, when you mention that you've already spoken to us about this, did we provide you with a defect or ticket ID?

If so, I'd be really grateful if you could send it over to me via PM so I can read up on the specifics of the problem.

If not, could you elaborate on the issue a little? You're not able to import address fields via Zapier directly into Act! address fields - but you can import the data into different field types? Is that right?

Hi Jon, I think you understand the problem.

Basically I have a very complicated form created in Cognito and need to pass over 100 fields to Act via Zapier.

Included in this is the customers home address and phone details. It does seem extremely odd that these are are excluded from the 'Edit' list in Zapier.

There can be no valid reason why they are excluded, saying they might confuse the user is the most ridiculous excuse i have ever come across. The user would not be there if they did not know what they were doing! 

This is the case number RE: Zapier connections with Act! - 8010742946

Would you be willing to advance this request for very quick resolution?

I don't mean adding it to some future road map, in my opinion it is software error that could be solved in less than an hour.

Regards

Adam Purser

Administrator

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your patience on this.

I've read up on the ticket - it looks like the issue you're experiencing is a fundamental limitation of the API at the moment - this unfortunately means that we do need to put some development time into getting this resolved in a future version.

In the meantime, is there a particular reason you need the data to be in the Home Address/Phone field? You could add the new fields that do work with Zapier to your layout and just use them instead - or does this not work for you for workflow reasons?

It's also possible to copy all data from one field to another in Act using the edit menu > Copy/Swap Field options. Where copy will make both fields contain the same data, and Swap will obviously swap the values. You can do this en masse for multiple records if necessary.
Bronze Elite Contributor

classicsailing wrote:

"Basically I have a very complicated form created in Cognito and need to pass over 100 fields to Act via Zapier......"

Hello Adam,

Third party developers produce the solutions that you are looking for. Developers put many hours into refining solutions to build what you are looking for but unfortunately marketing hype about how such products as Zapier combined with the API would transform data imports and connectivity to other software for Act! customers is, in the real world, not a reality and I sense your frustration. The hype ignores such complexity as duplicate checking and when you do have issues there is no better informed assistance than that from the developers that have needed to understand the challenges faced.

What it comes down to is taking a commercial approach, spend some money on an add-on product and get the task sorted versus spending countless hours fiddling about with something that has no definitive outcome and the frustration it generates. 

I suggest you download and run our mature and stable product, Smart Forms to achieve the task. Refer to: our website and Smart Forms       

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

[ Edited ]

Auto copy fields to another field on import from Zapier.

The real reason these fields are not available from Act to download via Zapier is that there are commercial interests like Xact, Address Grabber, FetchIt that have an income based on doing this for the user.

Zapier works perfectly well and I have been using it successfully with other applications. Historically programmes like Xact, Address Grabber, FetchIt where the only answers. 

Act! it's time to move on.

Let all the fields through to Zapier now!

Adam Purser

Bronze Elite Contributor

classicsailing wrote:

"The real reason these fields are not available from Act to download via Zapier is that there are commercial interests like Xact, Address Grabber, FetchIt that have an income based on doing this for the user."

That is absurd and simply not the case. 

Graeme Leo

Hi Graham,

Nice to know, as one of your customers, that you think my comments are absurd!

Perhaps you protest to hard. I imagine you feel that Zapier is a threat. Understandable but the way people use software usage is changing rapidly.

You might like to check this review of 1000 Zaps.

By the way Wufoo is very poor compared to Cognito Forms.

I wish you well.

Adam Purser

Bronze Elite Contributor

Hi Adam,

Zapier is definitely not a threat to the developer community, rather it has worked for the community to heighten people's interest in exploring connectivity between business applications. It has been enabled by the proliferation of web based APIs that were otherwise needing developer skills to connect.  What can be misleading is the hype that can accompany it, not from Zapier themselves but from promoters who make claims that cannot be supported. There is a big difference between connecting data sources together through web APIs and providing for cogent workflow, business rule adherence  and GUI (user interface) interaction that is beyond simple zaps. 

My earlier comment serves to correct the implication that there is in some way a collusion between Swiftpage, and 3rd party developer community to limit functionality to the benefit of the Act! development community, of which Xact Software is just one of many. Thank you for your patronage of our fine products, but I'm at a loss as how that relates to correcting the statement.           

Graeme Leo