Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Attachment cannot be accessed.

Attachment cannot be accessed.

I'm using ACT Premium 2013 and recently tried to open an email attachment but received the following message:

The attachedment cannot be accessed.  The file mya have been modified outside of Sage ACT!  Please contact your Sage ACT! Administrator.

The file shows as a tmp56.msg.  

I tried right-clicking to see if another program might open it but the moment you do so, you get the same message.

Richard

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Attachment cannot be accessed.

Does this only happen to an individual email attachment, or all email attachments?

If a single email, it may be that the properties of the 'tmp56.msg' file have been modified.  Browse through Windows Explorer to the file ('*databasename*-database files/attachments' folder), right click on the file > select Properties > ensure 'Read Only' has not been enabled.

When browsing to the file, what is the size of the file?  If it is '0kb', there is nothing within the file to open.

If it happens to all emails, try running Sage ACT! as administrator; to do this: close Sage ACT! > right click Sage ACT! icon > select 'Run as administrator' > test opening email

Greg Martin
Sage

Greg,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I did go into my Database files and sure enough 'Read Only' was selected.  I 'unclicked' it and closed ACT and re-opened it - but problem still persists.  It happens to multiple contacts, not just one.  I can peruse the history and open attachements that are roughly 1-year old, but beyone that I get the same message - "There was an error opening the attachement ..."  I've been running the program 'as administrator' for some time but not getting access to older attachments in my history tab.  This is a compliance issue for my business and extremely important that I can still access old emails.  Any other thoughts?

Richard

Do the files have a size above '0kb'?

Greg Martin
Sage

Yes, the files do have a size.  I just did a quick check and if I try and click on the file in ACT I get the 'access denied' message.  If I do a search in Explorer and locate the same file, I can see it has a size, and, I can double-click it and open it - outside of ACT.  It appears there is something in ACT that isn't allowing me to access it.

Anyone have an idea of what is causing this problem?

This is a real area of concern.  I'm a financial advisor and require the ability to view emails in history.  Am I the only one who has experienced this problem?

Check the Security permissions for the files (test with a single file first). Right-click file > select Properties > Security tab > ensure 'Everyone' is listed under 'Groups or user names' and that it has 'Full Control' under 'Permissions'. If not 'Full Control', update and test file through ACT!.

If that is successful, you can update all of the files but updating the 'Attachments' folder, click Apply, select 'apply to all sub-folders and files'.
Greg Martin
Sage

I've got Full Permission listed.  The only difference I see when I do a serach for TMP files is that they are NOT in the same folder.  Some are listed in ACT and others in My Documents.  Could this be the difference?

The files absolutely have to be in the 'Attachments' folder of your database. If they aren't, copy them into the Attachment folder - close/reopen ACT! and test.

Note: I would 'copy' them, opposed to 'move' - as a backup.
Greg Martin
Sage