Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Attaching voice recordings to act contacts

Highlighted

Re: Attaching voice recordings to act contacts

yeah.... saleman who do not like to type trip reports. Find a convient way for them to record the neccesary information into a sharable (not their head) location. Capture facts soon after meetings and visits while on the road.

I know this is not the right forum for this, but at least I have a better idea on how ACT handles attachments.
Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

But verbal reports can't be searched...

Maybe get them iPhones or Blackberrys and Handheld Contact.... then they can auto record data from the road and sync with the office?
http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2010/05/getting-act-on-your-phone.html
Highlighted

Not being searchable was a point I made also but capturing the information seemed to be a higher priority than referencing it in the future. Speech to text would be the best if it was reliable. The real debate is between a 1 minute recording vs an hour polishing a typed report.
I have looked at this article a couple times with in my investigations of getting ACT on the BlackBerry and/or Android phone. My research always leads to the same conclusion.
User Demands + contact count = impossible
Highlighted

What demands and count make it impossible?

Handheld Contact is on BB and iPhone/iPad ... Android eta around mid yr
Highlighted

20,000 contacts, I want them all, I don't want to push a button or tether my phone to sync, or spend more money...

We currently sync ACT and outlook, then use BES to sync to the phone. Cringe for the initial sync.
Highlighted

Yes.... 20K far too much for a phone.
Why do they need all?

Going via Outlook has issues:
1. Activities not linked to contacts
2. No notes/histories
3. No field formatting
4. Worst ... doing 2-way edits WILL eventually either lose data or cause duplications that are really messy to clean
Highlighted

I am all too aware of the problems. I only push contacts down and do not allow a full sync.
Syncing all 20k contacts is more of a orginizaonal issue. Eventually everything needs to be overhauled and properly organized... However that is not my primary focus and wont be for a while. Bigger fish to fry.
Highlighted

Comes back to my point about getting past what they ask for, finding the actual business needs and pushing the right solution to meet them.

Eg designing dynamic groups so they get the contacts each user needs...

Make sure you keep good backups (and test them monthly) ... much easier to restore than clean.

To give an example, if the folder in Outlook, Exchange or phone changes, Outlook creates NEW ItemIDs. ACT! then sees these as all new.

Another issue is if you have international contacts ... the sync doesn't handle the country code for phone numbers