Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Attaching voice recordings to act contacts

Attaching voice recordings to act contacts

I was approached with the idea that our sales team could attach a voice recording of a sales meeting or the equivalent of a trip report. As an administrator I cringe at the thought of attaching files to a database on a regular basis.

I am very new to ACT but am familiar with database management in general.

How would ACT handle these attachments? Would it bloat the database more than the attached file (like HTML email) or would it use a pretty equivalent in size file?

Looking for thoughts, pros, cons and general best practices.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Attaching voice recordings to act contacts

The way I would to it would be to store the records in a separate server and then to use URL links to the files in ACT!'s history or, possible better, via a custom sub-table

I have thought of that also. It just requires the storage area to remain static. makeing server upgrades a bit more technical.

Store them on a web server or in the cloud?

And they don't have to be static ...
User URLs like http://ouract/path/file (web) or file://ouract/path/file (local)
Then use DNS or Windows hosts to redirect "ouract" to the IP of the file server

Excellent thoughts, thank you.
So I can present factual reasoning... It is safe to say that the ACT database would grow porpotinal to the file size of the attachment at a minimum.

Not if doing it that way... the attachments aren't in the database, only a URL link to them.

I'd also recommend a Custom Table addon to store the URLs and any other info (Date, User, Details, etc)
See itTables: http://www.glcomputing.com.au/main/62/1

The persons asking the question wants to attach the file directly to the database for hisown reasons. I fear that the is could create a monster and lead my down a dark path in managing the database.
I need to present him with factual reasons why this would be a bad idea.

If using normal attachments or links in ACT!, the files are all stored in a single folder.... not in the database.

The only issue with this is if you get around 10,000 total attachments (could be less on a slow server). Because Windows needs to load the directory table every time a file as accessed, when you have a large number of files, the system performance will degrade rapidly.

The size of the files doesn't matter. If not looking at that volume, it should be fine

Initially I would be looking at 3-4 files a week. Depending on acceptance and usage it could grow or fizzle.
Sounds like file size is going to be play a part in storage and hardware needs but quantity will affect the over all performance more.
Average file size will vary also.

I will have to see what kind of file attachmne tis already in play.

Thank you for your input.
We all love the vague project requests. Smiley Happy

Attachment file size only important for disk space

The trick with projects is not looking at what they ask for, but seeing the business need behind it and then convincing them of the best way to achieve it