Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Attaching signed emails

Copper Contributor

Attaching signed emails

Something that does come up more and more: the Act! Addin appears to be unable to attach signed (see: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Secure-messages-by-using-a-digital-signature-549ca2f1-a68f-...) emails from Outlook to Act!, whether manually or using the quick attach.

Unfortunately, the way that Act.Outlook.Service.exe works, this doesn't show up as an unattached email in the list, the tray icon stays hidden, everything looks like it worked, except: No email attached.

So, for one: Could we get an actual error message or some other indication that something didn't work? Any, better yet, make it work Smiley Happy

Administrator

Re: Attaching signed emails

Hi Thomas,

The reason these signed messages are not able to be attached is due to the encryption that Outlook applies to the message. When the message is passed from Outlook to Act.Outlook.Service.exe as a .msg file, the message becomes separated from Outlook with the encryption still applied. Only Outlook can decrypt these messages. This is why these messages are currently ignored.
Enabling the service to allow attaching these messages would require a fundamental change of how Outlook history is currently recorded into Act. I will raise this feature request with the Product Management team though for future consideration. I agree that an error message would be a useful indicator to show that these messages have not been attached.

Do you have the ability to send me a signed email? This would be useful for testing workarounds.
Nickel Super Contributor

Secure email www.zixcorp.com/ or www.appriver.com/secure-email question. If customer uses one of these services to send secure emails, will the emails get recorded in act history? The customer says that they will use a secure service for some emails and a separate host for non-secure emails. Wondering if they will have this problem too.  If they use a service like this, does the encryption happen after the email has left Outlook, so that they will not have this issue?

Rita Kogstad
RKA Associates
Stamford, CT
Administrator

Hi Rita,

I do not know if emails sent through these services will be recorded. This is not something we test.
I would be interested in knowing the outcome of any testing you are able to do.
Copper Contributor

Thanks Gary,

once I'm back for the new year, I'll finish setting up PGP for my private emails and send you a test message
Copper Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Garry also not encrypted mails, (only with the "encryption Signature" attached are not attached.

you can check that out with the emails we did exchange a week ago... the mail is not encrypted, but the key is attached, and you will see the issue directly. when you try to attach my mail to act

If you need more emails for testing you may want to respond by mail and i will be happy to send you some mails where you can reproduce the issue, 

btw, this issue is known since 2008, and i did highlight it also several times as according to German Law each mail should be encrypted, (most Business owners ignore it :-) ) 

regards

Ingo

ACC since 1995
Developer of Addons for ACT

CrmAddon Factory
+1 203 541 0040
Copper Elite Contributor

the Technic we use is S Mime, it sends out the encryption key with every mail, and as soon the other side is responding with a  s mime key, the encryption will be done. In Germany it´s law that all mails that are business related must be archived for 10 years, and they have to be without encryption. that´s why we have a Appliance in place that is at the mail Entry/Exit point, and this Appliance is doing all the encryption, 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/MIME

regards

Ingo

ACC since 1995
Developer of Addons for ACT

CrmAddon Factory
+1 203 541 0040
Administrator

Thank you Ingo.

I have tested this and can also confirm that emails with a digital signature cannot be recorded into Act using Premium Contact Link. The addin is unavailable when viewing digitally signed emails. the following Outlook error is displayed when trying to invoke the addin:

OUTLOOK_2017-01-03_15-17-58.png