01-15-2010 05:00 PM
QuickBooks uses Outlook to send invoices to customers. The invoices are sent successfully, but when these invoices are attached to ACT from Sent Items, the date sent gets set to 01/01/0001. Act continuously tries to attach this message every few minutes causing the ACT.Outlook.Service.exe process to consume a lot of system resources and slow the machine to a unuseable state. The email must be stopped/removed from being attached for the machine to return to it's original state.
Has anyone experienced this problem? Is there a work around?
We use ACT Premium 2010 and QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions 10.0.
05-18-2010 09:35 PM
05-19-2010 08:55 AM
Yes, we are able to send invoices from QB using Outlook (we are able to see history in Sent Items). QB doesn't crash and the email is sent, but we are unable to attach the sent email to ACT history. Act.Outlook.Service.exe tries to attach the message every few minutes but fails each time. We have to manually STOP it from attaching the message at which point the email appears in the NOT ATTACHED tab and shows the date/time sent as 01/01/0001 12:00am. Outlooks shows the correct sent date and time.
ACT Version - ACT! by Sage Premium 2010 Version 22.214.171.124, Hot Fix 1
QB Version - QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions 2010 Release R6P
Outlook Version - Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
This behavior was seen in previous versions of ACT as well.
05-19-2010 10:19 AM
Thanks for your response
We are ACT! developers and consultants in New Zealand and we are experiencing problems with a customer site and we are able to reproduce the conditions in our own office with ACT! 2010, however the failure is more serious than you are having in that QuickBooks freezes when an email send is initiated. The versions that we are working with are:
ACT! Premium 12.1
QuickBooks Enterprise 2008/2009
Outlook 2003 SP3
It would be helpful to work with you to discover the underlying cause as your situation is problematic but different, it may give us some ideas as to what is happening. If you would like to correspond directly my email is at the bottom of this post. Two questions:
1. When you send an invoice from QuickBooks, do you see the Outlook message window open and the ACT! toolbar is always appears in the message window or does it sometimes, but other times not?
2. Have any of the emails sent from QuickBooks successfully attached to ACT!?
3. What is the default setting for attaching email to ACT!, for instance; Email Subject Only, Email Subject and Message etc.
05-19-2010 11:06 AM
Responses to your questions -
1. When email is sent from QB (Send Forms), no Outlook message appears. A QB window appears with this message - "Sending E-mail to Outlook. Outlook will e-mail them to the recipients." The email is sent directly to Outlook's Outbox and then Sent Items.
2. No emails from QB have gotten attached in ACT Premium 2010. We are able to save the email and then manually attach to ACT history by not directly using the ACT toolbar in Outlook. Seems like it worked a few versions ago (maybe 2007 or 2008).
3. Default when composing/replying to emails in Outlook (ACT Preferences Email setup wizard step 5 of 8) is None. Default when attaching emails to ACT contacts (ACT Preferences Email setup wizard step 6 of 8) is E-mail subject, message and all attachments.
Please let me know if you need more information.
05-19-2010 11:31 AM
You have the compose/reply set to None as a default.
In your situation,what is your desired outcome for email sent from QuickBooks:-
1. Attach to the ACT! contact by default.
2. Attach to the ACT! contact only when you manually set it to do so in the send Message window ( the assumption is that the Outlook Send Message Window displays with the ACT! Toolbar available for you to select the option to attach, prior to the email being sent.).
3. Not attach at all.
If you want to attach the email by default what is the desired method, Email Subject only, Email Subject and message, Email subject and message with attachments?
05-19-2010 11:58 AM
The desired outcome for us is as follows - When an email (invoice) is sent from QB, it gets attached to the correct record in ACT history. However, we don't want to attach every email we send (only a select few correspondences with our customers) and we sometimes have multiple records for some customers. So we chose to use None as the default when composing/replying to emails.
Due to this limitation our desired outcome would then be option 2 - Attach to ACT! contact only when we manually set it to do so. We don't see the send message window before the email is sent, so our only option is to view the sent email in the Sent Items folder and attach from there using the Attach to ACT! Contacts button in the toolbar (and select the appropriate record).
When we attach emails to ACT we always choose E-mail subject, message and all attachments.
07-19-2010 02:32 PM
Today we tried to attach a Purchase Order sent from Quickbooks to ACT and the same behavior is seen. This seems to happen to any email that is sent from QuickBooks using Outlook.
07-19-2010 03:11 PM
We have tested various version of QuickBooks and ACT! and Outlook. We see varying outcomes dependent on versions of software and the order of install. The best condition we have seen is where sending an email (invoice) from QB works fine but it is never attached against the ACT! contact. The installation order of the software also seems to have an effect. Installing ACT! last seems to be the most successful. However I don't think that you could rely entirely on the process remaining stable.
An alternative is to use an add on software to integrate QB with ACT!, create an invoice within ACT! and send as an email attachment, then you can be sure the invoice is attached to the contact. As ACT! developers, we produce a product, Xact Link to ACT! and QuickBooks. We have a US version that will do the job. Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like a 30 day trial of the software.