Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Attaching Emails sent in Outlook to ACT contacts

Attaching Emails sent in Outlook to ACT contacts

Is it possible to automatically attach emails to certain contacts only...not all contacts in the database?  We are a 7 person firm and would like to attach emails to all contacts except those we send to each other internally.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Attaching Emails sent in Outlook to ACT contacts

The email attach function applies to all contacts that have a valid email address in the database. If you would like to exclude this function from certain contacts or select email messages, there are two methods you can try:

- When you send an email, there will be a dropdown on the toolbar of the message screen that allows you to manually select the history recording option for that particular message. When sending an internal email, you select the "Do not record history" option before sending.

- If you remove the email addresses from your internal users contact records, then emails will not attach to their records. This of course means you will manually have to type their email addresses when send them messages through ACT!.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks -

Re: Option 1 - I would prefer to not have to remember to do that as we send numerous emails to each other throughout the day.

Re: Option 2 - I thought about that and tested it, but then I get an error message at the bottom of the screen in the Attach to ACT Contacts Progress screen saying ACT couldn't attach.  If we do this, we would then have to remove all those that couldn't attach.

I was hoping there was someway of excluding certain contacts (like you can with "my record") from attaching, maybe through an ACT Add-on?

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]
Unfortunately, I know of no add-on that can do that. In regards to the "could not attach" warning, that is actually going to happen to any email you send out where the email address is not in your ACT! database. The ACT! Outlook Service will attempt to attach any outgoing message, not just ones from your ACT! database. So if you send a message to a friend about bowling night, then that message will generate a could not attach event. You of course can clear these out from the Quick Attach progress box.
Message Edited by ghollister on 02-24-2010 03:58 PM

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.