Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Attaching Email Option in ACT! 2009 Falls Short

Bronze Elite Contributor

Attaching Email Option in ACT! 2009 Falls Short

There are some good additions to ACT! 2009 such as a History of Previous Lookups, but I am surprised at the options offered under ACT! 2009 for email History recording using Outlook.

My expectation was that recording would allow for the entire e-mail as an Attachment but allow the choice of saving the E-mail Attached files or not. Unfortunately the improved integration with Outlook falls short of what some excellent add-on products already do and more importantly a lot of what people are looking for.
I don't often get customers wanting the whole content of the email text in History, it unecessarily clutters the History tab.

Good e-mail workflow and productivity with it are the #1 needs. Why does ACT! still not cut it for serious e-mail management when the add-in developers have shown the way and have done so for  anumber of years?  I will still be offering my clients e-mail addon products if they are looking for true e-mail productivity. Act 2009 doesn't do it and having to purchase an add-on influences purchasing decisions.

What people want from my experience is the ability to :
1. Easily navigate to the Contact from the e-mail, i.e Right Click, Choose 'Go to Contact'
2. Readily rename the Edit History Regarding field so that they can enter a meaningful description when attaching an E-mail against a contact record. Then they wouldn't have to open attached emails to check content for the information they are looking for at a later time.
3. Optionally save the E-mail + any attached files OR the E-mail without the attached files. For example if a sales person is sending pdf brocures or jpeg files to customers it is pointless to be attaching every incidence of sending the same material. They only want the E-mail content plus maybe the attachment names but NOT the attachments every time.

What do others think?

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Attaching Email Option in ACT! 2009 Falls Short

Thank you for your input and suggestions regarding the e-mail integration.  Please make sure you have submitted these as feature requests.  Also, please remember that the main focus of ACT! is as a contact manager, not an e-mail manager.  That is why the add-ons are out there....to expand ACT! as needed or desired beyond it's core functionality.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.