Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Attach To Act Contacts Progress window FULL of messages

Copper Contributor

Attach To Act Contacts Progress window FULL of messages

I'm running ACT Premium 2011 on both Windows XP and Windows 7 machines along with Outlook 2007.  The combination is working fine, but I've just noticed that the Attach To Act Contact Progress window is always running in my Task Tray with a Red X showing.

I found out (from observing on a new PC installation) that this progress icon should not always be showing.  On the new installation the icon shows a green arrow temporarily while running and then disappears.  No Red X.  So on the PCs I have with the Red X showing all the time, is something wrong?  Should I be manually deleting messages in the "Not Attached Messages" list on a regular basis?  I'm wondering what the proper functionality of this feature is.  Surely the messages should NOT be piling up indefinitely, but I have some very old messages in that list so I'm pretty sure something is wrong.

In a related question, I'm wondering how long messages should take to attach between Outlook and ACT.  What is considered an acceptable amount of time for the attached Outlook message to show up in ACT before considering the possibility of something having gone wrong?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Attach To Act Contacts Progress window FULL of messages

Hello vacogroup,

With the Quick Attach, ACT! will attempt to attach any outgoing email that is sent to the database - not just for ACT! contacts. That is why you see the green arrow. Also, the red X will stay until the Not Attached Messages list is cleared out - this has to be done manually from the Quick Attach progress dialog box. In regards to the attach time, it depends on your system. Usually it should take several seconds for a single email to attach to history, longer for multiple emails. It could also take longer if Outlook takes longer to process the message or if you have email filters/scanners processing the message(s) as well. How long are you seeing it take to attach a single message?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Thank you for your response and helping out with this.  I do need some feedback on this particular function.

On my laptop the process is working pretty quickly.  Messages get attached within 30 seconds in most cases, and often quicker than that.  I do however ALWAYS have the envelope and RED X showing on my task tray as the Attach To ACT Contacts Progress window actually has hundreds of messages in the "Not Attached Messages" section.  I understand why messages show up in that list (they don't match an email in the database), but why do I have messages in that list that are years old dating back to 2009?  From what I can tell, the list should be purging itself when messages are 15 days old (according to what it shows on the Advanced Tab).  So for this case my question is why are old messages not getting purged automatically?  I'm assuming that if there were no messages in the "Not Attached Messages" section then the RED X icon would disappear, correct?

So that was my laptop.  The second instance I'm asking about is a corporate ACT Installation that I support in my workplace.  I have a user who did an email test with me observing yesterday and it took about 80 minutes for the sent message to show up attached in her ACT database.  We were constantly checking and refreshing the ACT Contact to see when the message was attached.  The ACT database in her case resides on a server, so it's not local to her PC like I have, but otherwise she is running ACT 2011 Premium for Windows the same way I do.  We have other ACT databases on the same ACT server (which was setup by an ACT Certified Consultant btw) and so far we do not have any reports of this happending with our other users on their separate databases.  The employee I'm speakingn of and her co-worker have noticed very long delays for their Outlook 2007 sent messages attaching to ACT 2011.  I don't know why it's taking so long, but they do eventually get attached, and I've double-checked their settings and they're correct.  So the attach function IS working but very slowly for many contacts and I don't know why this might be.

Really appreciate your help on this.

Michael

Michael,

1st issue:

Not sure how long you have had ACT! integrated with Outlook, but those old not attached messages will stay there until manually deleted. The 15-day setting is not to clear the "not attached" list, but rather to clear the email message logs that ACT! maintains. The Red X will stay there until the NA list is cleared.

2nd issue:

There may be email security that is scanning the messages and causing them to take long time to get to ACT!. Another reason may be that this user's ACT! History Queue folder has a lot of failed messages in it. All outgoing mail passes through this folder...successfully attached messages go through and are removed and then attached; failed messages will remain in the folder. The get to the History Queue folder, type in %appdata% in the Search box on the Windows Start menu. Then open the ACT! folder. You may see an ACT! for Windows (version#) folder and an ACT! Data folder in there. Open both and then empty any History Queue folders you may find.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Appreciate that information Greig.  I'm working through your suggestions now and am going to get that Attach to ACT Contacts Progress thing cleaned up.

Re: Red X when trying to delete history

Went into "my record" and noticed a bunch of old activities. Went to delete a mass of them (as I've done before without an issue) and now have a Red X in the history of ALL my contacts since. Does this mean the task is in progress? It's been close to half an hour now; I am hoping I didn't just delete the history of my entire contacts database. I am afraid to close the program or reboot. Anyone have a solution?

Re: Red X when trying to delete history

[ Edited ]

Hello rassigner,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. The red X usually indicates a graphics issue. Closing ACT! and rebooting your machine should resolve. I have no reason to believe that your changes did not save. As a best practice, when you reopen ACT! after  the reboot, perform database maintenance by going to Tools > Database Maintenance > Check & Repair and running both options. This should be done anytime a large amount of data is deleted from or added to the database.

Greig Hollister