Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Anybody else having ACT constantly crashing since V22?

Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Anybody else having ACT constantly crashing since V22?

I've got v22 update 4 (running Windows 10 with latest updates) and since this morning it is suddenly generating crash events that are logged.  First 3 were as follows:

Faulting application name: Act!.exe, version: 22.0.205.0, time stamp: 0x5db0af4b

Faulting module name: mshtml.dll, version: 11.0.18362.719, time stamp: 0x4daa3d75

Exception code: 0x4000001f

Fault offset: 0x00b95a17

This one occurred while the user was actively using ACT - program just suddenly closed:

Faulting application name: Act!.exe, version: 22.0.205.0, time stamp: 0x5db0af4b

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.18362.719, time stamp: 0x4061c730

Exception code: 0xe0434352

Fault offset: 0x00114192

Faulting process id: 0xa7c

Now every time I open/.close ACT, no error appears on the screen, but crash events are logged: in pairs when I open/close ACT:

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.18362.719, time stamp: 0x4061c730

Exception code: 0xc0020001

Faulting process id: 0x4024

immediately followed by:

Exception code: 0xc000041d

Faulting process id: 0x4024

I've already restarted SQL service and ran chkdsk on the system drive.  ??!!

Highlighted

<quote>

This was addressed in Patch 4

https://help.act.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024244494?_ga=2.66629486.1503047347.1583747530-846719593.1...

TS - System out of memory exception in various areas of v22

</quote>

No, ch1p, this was not addressed in patch 4. They say it was addressed in patch 4, but Act 22 Update 4 is still the same piece of garbage that it was before.

I didn't even upgrade anyone until patch 4 was released, and have regretted it ever since.  Should have stayed on v20.

Attached are the images showing that I am, indeed, running update 4, and the 4 OOM crashes that Act has had in less than an hour and a half.  Every pair of errors in the event log is the same story.  .NET SystemOutOfMemory exception, and then Act's unhandled exception.

This is running on a new Windows 10 machine, so the suggestion to upgrade to Windows 10 isn't valid, and a clean install isn't valid, either, because the machine is only a couple of months old.  It's been doing this ever since the Act 22 upgrade.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

I couldn't agree more. What you are describing is exactly what's happening to me. With such frequent OOM occurrences, Act has become almost unusable for me after building my business around it for over 15 years. The UK support team don't seem to care very much and I am at the point of despair. The last gentlemen tried to suggest that the processor clock speed might be to blame, even though it's running on an almost new Dell XPS with a Core i7 running at 1.80 and 16GB of RAM. It worked fine before I upgraded to version 22. Surely there must be a solution.
Highlighted

I agree with the others. Patch 4 did not help with stability at all. V21 worked fine on the same system, same memory, etc. V22 has never been stable. Is there a way to go back to V21?

Highlighted

Hi, 

in germany (and I think all non US customers) have the problem with the spell checker in Act v22. It does not work, or throw exceptions that the dictionary is not available. But it is there. I have made a little patch, which works with the german version. I hope it works for the italy one too. It is a simple small plugin dll. Copy it in your plugins folder. 

http://www.act-store.net/actnet/DictionaryExceptionFix_Actv22.zip

regards

Mark

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Yes, Technical Support has acknowledge that this is a known issue. They also acknowledged an "Act.Shared.WordCrushSpellChecker" error throwing an exception as well while attempting to schedule new activities. Technical Support indicated that I'll simply have to wait until the next update. I, too, am at a complete standstill until this is resolved.

Highlighted
Silver Contributor

I am cautious in offering advice about patch fixes since patch 4 !!!! (I believed their blurb!) 

BUT do check with the updates as ACT V22.1 and a further patch 22.1.2 are now published.

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

Act! V22.1.212.0 Update 2 did not help. Still getting out of memory errors. Have 64 GB's of memory. 

Highlighted
Silver Contributor

I too had the problem.

An ACT consultant in Toronto has a fix that worked for me.

Their blurb about it:

The Keystroke MemFix utility helps users increase the memory that a program or service can utilize. By default, most 32-bit applications are limited to 1024MB of RAM, but our MemFix utility increases that to 3072MB, which often can be the difference between a program crashing, and continuing to run. Useful for applying to Act and Netsync.

The download is here: ftp://ftp.act4work.com/KeystrokeMemFix/

My instructions for you:

1. download it.

2. unzip it.

3. run it.  it will ask you to browse for act.exe which is found in C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows

Cool?

-MM
World Famous ACT! Certified Consultant @ www.ActiveSales.net
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

MM - Thank you for sharing that information. In addition to the OutOfMemory error, additionally I've been receiving an "Act.Shared.WordCrushSpellChecker" error while attempting to schedule any activity. I was just wondering if you had experienced the same, and if so, if the fix corrected that issue as well?