Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Another User Mistakenly Deleted Contacts

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

Another User Mistakenly Deleted Contacts

ACT 2010

Hi all, another user mistakenly deleted some ACT contacts. I wrongly changed the CompanionLink transfer method to "Sync changes both ways" from "Add ACT info to Outlook" that dumped a hole heap of contacts in ACT. I changed it back. Later, our Office ACT Admin deleted these contacts thinking it was a mistake. Now those contacts are gone from Outlook also. What would be the best recover avenue?

Thanks Chris

ACT! Premuim 2010
Version 12.1.181.0 Hot Fix 1 & 5
SBS 2011
Win7Pro Clients

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kurio71
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Another User Mistakenly Deleted Contacts

A nightly backup is preformed!
ACT! Premuim 2010
SBS 2011
Win7Pro Clients

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kurio71
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

A nightly backup is preformed!
ACT! Premuim 2010
SBS 2011
Win7Pro Clients
Platinum Elite Contributor

Yup ... restore backup is the only reliable way.

Syncing both ways to Outlook pretty much always causes grief.
Copper Super Contributor

Not so good news the contacts were imported from Outlook and deleted from ACT the same day. I can find when, and who deleted the contacts but not who the contacts were. Outlook is empty too.
ACT! Premuim 2010
SBS 2011
Win7Pro Clients
Platinum Super Contributor

When you look at the contact record of the user who deleted them, under the History tab - you should see the list of names deleted?

If the names are present... it's not a pretty way to get a list, but you can run the Notes/History report for that user (uncheck Notes and make History - all and all dates), putting it to a text file.  You can then edit out the unnecessary info to leave a list of contact names.  You could then import that list of names (I recommend formatting in Excel, save as xls).  Of course this will only be names; not address/phone/email/etc...

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Super Contributor

Thanks Greg, in the History under the Contacts View, there aren't any entries. But the "Regarding & Details" under "History" of the Group View there are but no names just "Contact Deleted". I know who deleted, when and how many. Not the names of the deleted.
ACT! Premuim 2010
SBS 2011
Win7Pro Clients
Nickel Super Contributor

I discovered recently that contact deleted is not included in the notes/history report.

I was able to get the list I needed by using Topline Dash where I could select to filter for Contact Deleted, and then export to Excel.

Rita Kogstad
RKA Associates
Stamford, CT
Platinum Super Contributor

Hey Rita,

I was able to display the deleted contacts with the Notes/History report by selecting 'current contact', disabling Notes options, leaving all options enabled on the History tab, and Date Range = All Dates.  Are these the same options you were using? 

Greg Martin
Sage
Nickel Super Contributor

No (it works your way).  I filtered for only history and for a shorter time-frame.

Not intuitive that "contact deleted" will not show up if e-mail and attachments are disabled....right?!

I just noticed also that I could filter on the history tab for contacts deleted and on the right click menu there is the option to print history.

However, in situation I was dealing with recently (an earlier version where the history filter options were not that granular), hundreds of records had been deleted, they needed to be exported from a backup, and a sorted list made the job of identifying the records needed much easier.  So the Topline Dash export to Excel was a life-saver.

Rita Kogstad
RKA Associates
Stamford, CT