Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Am I Alone In Wanting Ability To Accept Email Calendar Invites on Mobile?

Copper Contributor

Am I Alone In Wanting Ability To Accept Email Calendar Invites on Mobile?

My biggest pet peeve with Act CRM is the inability for any of the 3rd party apps on the iPhone to allow a user to click on an .ICS (Calendar Invite) file received in an email and have it automatically added to Act!  Instead, we are forced to either wait until we get back onto our PC's to accept the invite or manually enter the appointment into something like Handheld Contact.

The issue with manually entering is two fold.  First it takes a lot more time to manually input all of the details to setup the appointment.  Secondly, it doesn't notify the issuer of the event invitation that you are attending or accepting the appointment.

Is there no better solution to this?  Are all the other CRM solutions out there suffering from the same issue or are they better integrated with the various mobile phones to allow for this type of functionality?

Thanks

Administrator

Re: Am I Alone In Wanting Ability To Accept Email Calendar Invites on Mobile?

Hi JagStyles,

This would be a great suggestion to send over to Handheld Contact. They have a contact form where you could request this feature here: http://support.handheldcontact.com/Tickets/Submit

Thanks
Copper Contributor

I wish they would also build integration with the MS Outlook iOS app like salesforce has done.  It's so intuitive and easy to use.  Unfortunately, none of the mobile solutions for Act! are intuitive.  They are sorely lacking in so many different ways.  I know that HHC has a new version they are releasing later this year but not sure what features or changes they have planned.

Copper Super Contributor

You have to remember that iOS is extremely restrictive. The type of features you are asking would require iOS to open up how it handels request. There are Integration feature request in apples back log that go back to iOS2. Think of it like this...

Can you select a default browser on iOS? No.

Can you select a default Mail app on iOS ? No

Opening the ICS file is not really that diffrent from any of the examples above. The operating system, iOS, has to hand the ICS file to something, and in IOS thats the calendar. you can't pick how you want to handel it, just like you cant pick how to handel clicking a web link in your email , or a mail to link on a website. iOS forces uses to use the built in apps.

RE mail intergration, in ios8, Apple addded some thing that could open doors for mail to be sent to other mobile apps( the more menu), but there is no SDK options yet. I have not checked the ios9 sdk yet but i doubt its there.. There are features request in apples bug/feature system to add API to add to this menu.

Back in iOS5 developers could present you with a new Email Form, then grab the email you sent and record it to history.. with iOS6 Apple was on a Privacy push from outside forces and with iOS6 removed that little back door. Now Privacy is a big deal and has made the platform even more restrictive.

You could jailbreak your ios phone and accomplish some of these "default app " selections but Personly I would not do that. Jailbreaking is opening your self up for a ton of hurt. I believe android allows app selection but you have diffrent issues, like you need antivirus software.

You mention iOS outlook and Salesfore integration. I am not a sales force user but I cannot find any information on this. I can see the outlook on a PC sf.com intergration, but not iOS app. I looked into intergrating several iOS mail apps with CRMS about 6 months ago and none of the iOS mail apps allow intergration at that time.

you said "mobile solutions for Act! are intuitive" Have you looked at eXact Contacts?  whats the problem with it?

I dont know anything about HHC releasing a new version, doesnt mean they are not, just havent heard that.

Jeremy Wesley
MCSE+I, MCDBA, MCSD, ACC, APT, A++
www.act.expert
Have you seen eXact Contacts? iPhone & iPad App that syncs directly with your Act! Database.