Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Alternative Encrypted Cloud for ACT databases

Copper Contributor

Alternative Encrypted Cloud for ACT databases

I am interested in storing my ACT database in the Cloud but Swiftpage uses Google datacentres for this. (Perhaps surprising following the Snowden revelations and the common view of Google as a subsidiary of the NSA, especially given the comments on NSA doing industrial espionage to the advantage of US cmpanies.)
Has anyone tried any other cloud - preferably End-to-End encrypted, Zero Knowledge, preferably nothing to do with the US?
I use Tresorit for my business generally, which is based in Switzerland.
Does anyone else have such experience of non-ACT Cloud storage of ACT databases?

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Alternative Encrypted Cloud for ACT databases

But in the case of security and privacy ... is it better to have your own WEB & Mobile Act! server??

Additionally, if any of your users needs to work offline (Synchronizing by Internet when they are online again), that user can have remote database, thus it achieves better performance in the use of their database - and Microsoft Office 32 Bit  integration.

I'm not expert, it's just an idea, and you do not need your server something very expensive.

Best regards,

Juan Carlos Otero
juancarlostero@icloud.com
Administrator

Hi Arkwight,

We use secure 256 bit encrypted HTTPS connections for Act Premium Cloud.
If you are looking for for a platform where you can entirely control and audit the security of your data, Act Premium for Web can be installed and hosted on your own server, allowing for a completely self-hosted solution.
Copper Contributor

Thanks Juan Carlos. It's an idea.

There is a view that dedicated Zero Knowledge databases such as Spideroak and Tresorit are likely to be much more secure than "own" servers, so this is the reason I consider such zero knowledge cloud. But it is worth thinking about - thanks.

Copper Contributor

Thanks Gary.

It's not that I feel the need to audit it all, the burning need is to avoid the Google/NSA cloud provided by ACT.

Do you think ACT Premium would work on Zero Knowledge cloud?

Administrator

I can't say I'm familiar with Zero Knowledge cloud. You can find system requiremets for running Act here: http://www.act.com/en-uk/products/system/v18/premium

We also have a network of Act Certified Consultants, some of whom offer alternative hosting services. You can find a list of our Partners here: http://www.act.com/en-uk/partners
Copper Contributor

Thanks Gary.

"Zero Knowledge" seems to be used merely to mean that the facility offering the service (cloud, messaging, email, whatever) is UNABLE to decrypt customer data even if they want to or are subpoenaed to crack it..

This is the reaction of a number of software/cloud/messaging services to the threat of court action in the US (and threat of it in the UK and elsewhere) to force service providers to decrypt customer data and give it to the intelligence services. E.g. Lavabit email closed down in the US and moved to Switzerland to start a zero knowledge service there for which they themselves would be unable to decrypt customer data. Other examples include Signal, Protonmail, Spideroak, etc etc.. They see it as a Unique Selling Point in the light of the mass hacking of data by various governments.

Thanks for the hyperlink - I'll check it out.