Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Allow ACT for web access only to selected ACT users

Copper Contributor

Allow ACT for web access only to selected ACT users

Hi all

Is there a way to allow access to ACT for Web only to certain users of the ACT database? The idee is, to have certain users with access to ACT for Web and the other users have access only with windows client.

As I know, normally all active ACT users in the database have access to both clients, but it should be possible to manage this.

Regards

Stefan

Stefan Koehli
ACT! Cerified Consultant
KÖHLI INFORMATIK AG
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Allow ACT for web access only to selected ACT users

Not sure why you'd want to ... but, I think the easiest way is to use Windows Authentication in IIS and only allow the users who need it
Silver Contributor

Mike, i'm not totally sure I understand your answer. so here may be another perspective.  

if the database is setup for Web Access, anyone who has access to the database (via an active ACT username) can access the database via ACT for Web Unless you block their access to the site somehow.  the ACT usernames will all work. there is  NOT a way withing aCT to specify that one set of users can access via web and another can access via the desktop client.

It is a comon feature request for example if you don't want all emloyees to have access to the database from out of the office.  However, the only way to prevent this would be to NOT give them the APFW url.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Platinum Elite Contributor

Sort of ... in IIS, you can set an additional Windows authentication to access the APFW virtual folder. Then only allow specific users.
Copper Contributor

Thank you for your answers, gents.

For the moment, it seems access restriction for certain ACT! users to ACT! Web access is only possible with IIS security and is not managed by ACT!.

I hope this will be a feature for a next version of ACT!

Stefan

Stefan Koehli
ACT! Cerified Consultant
KÖHLI INFORMATIK AG