Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

All Contacts RDB = 6GB but ACT Reports 13GB On Host Server

Accepted Solution Solved
Bronze Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

All Contacts RDB = 6GB but ACT Reports 13GB On Host Server

I'm pretty sure that I really need the help of a ACC on this one.

Our environment is a host on the ACT server and 6 RDB all that should be using the All Contacts Sync set.

When I count my RDB, the total size comes to ~ 6GB:

• OMT Database File Folder = 3.75GB
  • OMT ADF = 2.1GB
  • OMT ALF = .067GB
  • Total = 5.917GB

ACT Support told me that the size of our db on the ACT server is approximately 13GB.

Can someone tell me how the 13GB is calculated?

Or is there anyone at ACT who monitors this forum that can tell me how it is calculated?

John Purdy
ACT! Premium V. 22.1.212.0 Update 4
HP ENVY 17m, 16GB, & Office 365, 32bit, 500GB SSD.
ACT CRM Advisor

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author jnpurdy
‎10-02-2020 07:28 AM
Silver Super Contributor

Re: All Contacts RDB = 6GB but ACT Reports 13GB On Host Server

Hi John

Thanks for the clarity and I must agree that 2.5GB would mean at least 50% of my clients would not be able to use the cloud system to create their own RDB files. I was not aware of this limitation as I had not seen it documented anywhere so thanks for brining it to everyone's attention.

Needs a resolution asap by swiftpage. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

I would ask support to get you the file size of the ADF and the Attachments folder. These are typically the only ones that matter.
If sync has not been setup or maintained correctly, the ALF can grow large... this is easy to fix for support, but unimportant for the data.
Silver Super Contributor

The RDB file is a compacted file like zip and will shrink all the attachments so this probably explains the difference in size.

Hope that helps.

Bronze Super Contributor

Good point, Chip, but I only used the term RDB to show we are a hub & spoke configuration.

I should have added that the RDB only indicates that we all work on our own generated RDB and that the size reported above is not the ZIP file but the extracted and installed size of all the folders.  

John Purdy
ACT CRM Advisor
Silver Super Contributor

All I can suggest is that you check the size of the 2 main database files and all folders on the server and then compare against remotes to see where the differences are. Once that is done we might have more of a chance in tracking down the problem.

Bronze Super Contributor

I am replying to this post, as I followed your suggestion over the past week.  

As a reminder to all who are reading this, the purpose of the post is that as an ACT admin with our db hosted and all remote users with an RDB, the software in the cloud will not permit us to create our own RDBs.  

The reason this is so important is the time delay between requesting and receiving a new or replacement RDB from Act is 12 to 24 hours.

I was first given the comment that our db was too big to be created by the admin, and any RDB had to be created by the server team to create.

Fortunately this issue had been promoted to a senior support and we are getting better information.  Regarding the ability to create our own RDBs is answered in the last eMail from ACT::

Unfortunately I believe the limit for the web client to reliably pack and download remotes is around 2.5gb or smaller. Even if the database file size is reduced to 6gb I would expect that remote databases will still continue to fail if created by the browser, and would need to be created on the server by us.

I appreciate this is inconvenient and it’s something we’re definitely keen to improve on in future.

The underlines are mine. 

With our ALF ADF files totaling 2.75GB, that alone makes our db too big.  Then add our attachments, and we blow that number away. 

I'm not sure what would be the best way to reduce our ALF and ADF while keeping ACT viable.  Other than attachments, I'm thinking the history and memo fields could be the main culprits of our db size.  FWIW, the number of records is about 51,000.

John Purdy
ACT CRM Advisor
Solution
Accepted by topic author jnpurdy
‎10-02-2020 07:28 AM
Silver Super Contributor

Hi John

Thanks for the clarity and I must agree that 2.5GB would mean at least 50% of my clients would not be able to use the cloud system to create their own RDB files. I was not aware of this limitation as I had not seen it documented anywhere so thanks for brining it to everyone's attention.

Needs a resolution asap by swiftpage. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

@jnpurdy 

The issue is the IIS server timing out while creating the big files. It's usually the attachments that are the killer.

Most of the third-party hosts create the RDBs and send them via apps, like Dropbox, etc. Or, for really big ones use a zip program that breaks the file into smaller pieces that can be put together at the other end... Or even (if the user has poor internet) via courier on a DVD.

I've done all of these for people with hosts that allow that access.

If the ALF is big, that usually means there are old RDBs still in the sync setup that should be removed.

The ADF should compress to about a fifth in the RDB.