Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

After Windows 10 update, any activity with an attachment crashes Act

After Windows 10 update, any activity with an attachment crashes Act

Any activity with an attachment will crash Act.  This makes Act basically unusable because about a third of my activities have attachments.

Version: Act! Premium Version 16.1.207.0, Hot Fix 1

Administrator

Re: After Windows 10 update, any activity with an attachment crashes Act

[ Edited ]
There is a potential workaround older versions of Act! in the following Knowledgebase Article.

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38199

This is not guaranteed to work as Act! v16 is not fully compatible with Windows 10.
The issue is resolved in Act! v17
Nickel Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello Jeremy, Additionally we have a video to give you an idea of how the process is done in Act! V17.0 and older versions. (It includes V16)

Just keep in mind that the path of the file you need is like next...

C:\Act!_Premium_v16\ACTWG\program files\ACT\ActInstallDir

VIDEO...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFqyoKXSU9c

After this....  Restart your computer  and try again...

Hope that helps...   Best regards,

Juan Carlos Otero
juancarlostero@icloud.com
JM
Nickel Contributor

I think Gary can comment further on my post.

Windows 10 will not support reliably ACT ver 17.1 or lower because they install SQL 2008 which MS$ states Win10 is not compatible with.  After 3 weeks making ACT ver 15.1 Prem work I gave up,  I upgraded to Annual 17.1 SP2-HF0 which installs SQL 2014.  Now life is solid and I even have my Webinfo Google Maps features working like the old days, before Google changed their API's which hurt ACT mapping GUI with browser.  If you really think you will not upgrade Windows or ACT for many years you could rather buy for little more money the perpetual license (will not expire but no suppot or updates). If you need to get next version of ACT either way Annual plan or One Time you will be paying for a new full license per user.

You could try reinstalling Win10 then AFTER you find a way to get and install from MS$ either SQL2012-2014 then all your apps for ACT Ver 16 to work, but it may not last.

From what I have seen with osome PC apps & drivers that had to quickly kick out a Win10 version and I read about MS$ they made big code improvements with memory addressing ect..

Example I have 8GB RAM with Win8.1 64bit which running all my apps and drivers and my 680MB ACT DB Task Manager showed using 6.7-7.5GB. Now with Win10 64bit it only hit up to 4GB. Run this on an i5 or i7 CPU with SSD drive ACT is fast enough to switch between opening different DB if you wanted to unlike in the past when you hated waiting.

JM

This didn't work for me. Can you explain what the reason is for not adding a hotfix for v16?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Windows 10 isn't a supported operating system for ACT! 16

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I'm aware of this, but that's what I'm asking. Why not release a hotfix for it since it has only been out for 2 years?
Platinum Elite Contributor

because it can't be a hotfix. Windows 10 uses a later version of the .net framework that made major changes and didn't retain legacy functionality. That has required a major revision to ACT! 17 to support Windows 10 and previous supported versions of Windows.

My experience with Microsoft over the past 30 plus years I was very suspicious of the "free" upgrade to Windows 10 and I've turned down the several invitations I;ve been sent. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
JM
Nickel Contributor

SS_Jeremy,

I know its not what you want to here but we all have to start shifting to a mind set upgrading to Annual Subscription, or Perpetual (lock in with a version license for every) Plan.  You will have to go back to Windows 8.1 for V16 to work.

Albeit  ACT! V16 less than 2 years old the changes made in OS, Office 2013, SQL2014, Google API's, and more cloud base support invalidated the good old days for free Hot Fix (HF) for multiple versions.  Its not ACT! fault, its how fast technology and the developers code is changing.  The BIG leap frog in code changes may help you leverage ACT! sales to offer a special price to V17.2 and free upgrade to V18 (big code improvement due out end of Nov) XX fingers. 

Again either go back to Windows 8.1, or get 17.2 which is stable with Office 2013 and will get free upgrade to V18 to get Office 2016 suite support.

JM

I have another PC with Windows 10 and Act v16 works.  How is this possible?