Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Advice needed before merging a remote database with main database.

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Advice needed before merging a remote database with main database.

[ Edited ]

I have ACT! 2009 Premium (11.0), with two remote users & 8 local users.

One of the remote users had an issue with synchronising, his remote DB would not update the date of last sync when he synchronised his DB with the main DB and locked him out - I recreated this users database by creating a new remote DB (.RDB) from the main DB.Smiley Happy

Now it turns out that there are tasks and opportunities missing from both the main and newly created remote DB (both are now synchronising ok) that were in the old broken remote database.Smiley Sad

My plan to fix this is to backup the old broken remote DB, and restore this onto the server with a different name and merge this into the main DB (As per Knowledgebase Answer ID 22042 & 17539) and then have the user synchronise his new remote DB to pickup the missing data that has been imported into the main DB.

My question is will this work? - Will the missing tasks be imported correctly? 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author DSRoberts
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Advice needed before merging a remote database with main database.

I imported from the old remote database to the new remote database and then synched up to the main database. The old remote db would not let me export tot he main database so this was the only way I could get all the data back to the main db. It was smooth and easy - too bad it took me a week to figure it out!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Contributor

I just had to go through all of this myself. What worked for me was to actually export the contacts out of the broken database into the one that is synching correctly using the "merge" option on export. This seemed to do the trick and got all the old data into the new working database for synching. 

Copper Contributor

Hi Cam Wells,

Thanks for the reply, Just to be clear - did you import the data into the main database or the remote one? Did it all go smoothly for you? 

Solution
Accepted by topic author DSRoberts
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

I imported from the old remote database to the new remote database and then synched up to the main database. The old remote db would not let me export tot he main database so this was the only way I could get all the data back to the main db. It was smooth and easy - too bad it took me a week to figure it out!

Copper Contributor

Worked very smoothly,

Thank you.

I hate to ask but can you detail out what you did ?

I have three remote DB's that have now failed and I need to do this to them, but I am not to sure about how to do it ?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Thank you again, Joe

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Go to 'File', then 'Import' and I followed the instructions in the import wizard to import the relevent database into the new remote database.