Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Advice Needed, Remote Upgrades 2007 to 2009

Advice Needed, Remote Upgrades 2007 to 2009

Hi All,

I've spent the last week trying to can a remote upgrade for my act users.  Most of them run act on laptops and are offsite.  They also all have locked down workstations, meaning they aren't the administrator of their machines.  The act upgrade seems to be almost impossible to do in this situation.  For the following reasons.

1.  In order to automatically register, Act 2009 has to launch with someone who has administrator privileges.

2.  Act has to be silently installed with someone with administrator privileges (I think I can get around this with a self extracting zip or something)

3.  Anytime I try to use my serial number in a si.txt file, Act errors out when it tries to launch, after the upgrade.

4.  Sage doesn't support silent installs, lol.

Have any of you done large remote upgrades and do you have any recommendations on the best way to do it?

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Advice Needed, Remote Upgrades 2007 to 2009

Hello Sam,

Please ensure that you have gone through all the points in KB Article 23039

What is the error or errors the users are receiving when they try to launch ACT! after the installation?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks for the reply.  I followed every point on that article, and anytime I have an error message in the text file, then act 2009 errors out on its first launch.  If I just have a line for the serial number in the si.txt then the app will launch fine, but it doesn't do any registration, so I've decided not to even deal with it.  I don't ming walking users through the registration.

The major problem I'm having right now is getting the silent install to run as administrator.  I've finally tracked down a third party method to do it, but good ol act has to run part of its install differently, so it doesn't run the whole thing under the admin user I'm using, and the install fails. lol

Sorry if I sound snippy, I've just never run into such a problem with a remote installation, and I can't say i'm terribly pleased with Sage right now. Smiley Happy

I've got the silent install almost working, but I get this error shortly after the silent install starts running. 

Act.Oulook.Service

Access to the path "ACT! Outlook SErvice SingletonApp Mutex' is denied.

Any ideas on where I would need to give acces to prevent this error on the silent installation?

Thanks for any help.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Sam,

I am not sure from your previous posts if you covered the followed points: 

- Silent installs are designed for new installs, not upgrades. So make sure that any prior versions of ACT! have been uninstalled before running the script

- The SI script is designed to play back on a local machine, so make sure the clients are not running it over a network share, as the script will most likely fail

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

In talking to support,  they told me the silent install could remove.  And it does work perfectly uninstalling and installing the new version, if it is a completely unlocked an open machine.  The problem is that the remote clients I need to install this on are on locked down workstations.  I wouldn't mind uninstalling the previous version first with the uninstaller, but it's a locked down machine, and I haven't been able to find any command line options for the uninstaller.

As far as I can tell the uninstall part of the silent install is trying to kill a process as the administrator, which is what I have to use to run the silent install in the first place, but the process was started by the local user, so it doesn't allow it. Smiley Happy  If I try to kill the process first, as the user, it will terminate, but then the uninstall from the cd just hangs, because it's trying to stop a process that no long exists, hmm, I wunder if I could start that process again as administrator, and then have the cd uninstall run.

Well, it got me further, but it still hangs, and this time it doesn't have an error Smiley Sad 

Am I the only customer who has ever tried to do a remote upgrade on locked down workstations?

Thanks

Nickel Elite Contributor

What still hangs?

The procedure necessary to conduct a silent install / upgrade would be for you to first, record a Silent Uninstall Script as documented in the Help of the ACT! Program.  This records an Uninstall script that you would play back on all machines marked for the upgrade.

Do not use the Uninstaller utility to do this, it is designed as a very last ditch effort to remove product, when a normal uninstall routine fails for whatever the reason.  Using uninstall via Add/Remove programs is the proper way to remove applications so that the installation database is properly decremented.

Though the Uninstaller utility may look like a faster more appealing application to remove product, it could actually cost you more time should something go wrong.  Again, it is designed as a last ditch effort utility only.

Once you have removed prior product from your targets, you can then deploy using the Silent installation method.

Though you indcated that your "works", that doesn't mean the procedure is test that way and supported.

One tip I can offer here is to kill the Outlook Service via Task Manager prior to your procedure.

thanks

Matthew McFadden
Bronze Super Contributor

Just in case others get this error:

"Access to the path 'ACT! Outlook Service SingletonApp Mutex' is denied."

For me it was that the Act.Outlook.Service.exe was running as another user. 

Using Task Manager to end that process then reattempting resolved this issue for me.