Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Advanced drop-down lists (Cascading drop-down lists)

Advanced drop-down lists (Cascading drop-down lists)

Hi, I can't see any existing threads on this topic - apologies if i am duplicating an old question/answer.

We are using Act Premium 2007 and i have been asked to implement a new layout to match our interantional counterparts (who do not use Act).  As an example, users need to be able to select product interests for a particular contact.  Since we have a vast quantity of products, we now have a taxonomy system to make selection simpler - i.e LAB PRODUCTS/BALANCES/ANALYTICAL/MS.

There are never more than 4 levels in any of the fields i need to change (i need to do this for a contact's industry, function and product interests).

I was hoping there would be an add-on that would allow for 'cascading' or dependent drop-down lists where i could have the first level of selection in the initial drop-down and when you click one, a new list appears (a la Microsoft Windows and Office toolbar menus).

I am currently trialling 'Advanced Dropdown Lists' from Exponential, however this seems to only allow for 2 levels of selection.

If there is no pre-existing add-on that would suit this requirement, is there a way to utilise the trigger function when i click on my product interest tab to launch an excel file and import the resultant selections back into Act?

Sorry this is longwinded!

Thanks,

Michael.

Re: Advanced drop-down lists (Cascading drop-down lists)

Try taking a look at one of the custom tables addons.  Two that come to mind are TopLine Designer and Durkin Toolkit

Thanks David.  TopLine Desinger looks like it would do the job nicely (as well as giving us a solution for a couple of other issues we have).  The only issue is it is only available for Act 2008 and above - we are using 2007.  If there is something else very similar for 2007 version, we would be extremely interested.

My apologies, I overlooked the ACT! version in  your original post.  Unfortunately custom tables are not available in ACT! 2007, which is why the addon isn't compatible.  Take a look at these two addon websites to see if theres another addon that fits your needs. 

www.act.com/addons

www.actaddons.com

I am having the same issue. I am currently using the Exponential add-on with my Sage Act Pro 2011 on Windows 7, trying to create  conditional drop downs cascading 4-5 levels. I am totally confused as to where to create each drop down list (in ''create new field"? or in "manage drop down lists?") and if there is a particular order that has to be followed in order for everything to show up in the right spot. The tutorials haven't proved to be helpful at all. Worse yet, there don't seem to be any Sage Act experts in my area to hire for tutoring. Any ideas?

Bronze Elite Contributor

ACT 2007 was an early version of the ACT SQL builds and has been much improved since then. Consider investing in ACT V16 (2014) as it will allow custom tables which will meet your needs.