Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Advanced Query Unique Criteria Limits?

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Advanced Query Unique Criteria Limits?

Here's my dilemma:

I use ACT! Premium for Workgroups here at the office. We have the Swiftpage addon to pull the contacts in our database for our email campaigns. After an email is sent, Swiftpage provides reports in the form of an Excel .csv file which includes the email address and any tag associated with it (Bounceback, Opted Out of emails, duplicate, etc.). In order to update the database based on the reports received from Swiftpage, the following process has been used: I copy the email address from the Excel report, do a lookup by email address in ACT!, then make any updates to the contact page that are needed (we use the last results field to indicate the status of email addresses on the reports). Fairly straight forward. However, it becomes EXTREMELY time consuming when you have 600+ updates that need to be done - which would take more than a day to update. I did some thinking and came up with the following "solution" for these massive updates. I created a simple advanced query that looked for 2 different email addresses in our database using the "OR" operator. I then opened that query in WordPad and located where the emails were in the XML code that the query is made up of. I copied the code specific to one of the "criteria" in the search and placed it into an MS Word Mail merge document so I could create search criteria for all the email addresses that needed to be updated by plugging in the email address where needed. After the merge was completed, the resulting 125 pages (for 568 email addresses) of search criteria were copied back into the query's code, which was still open in WordPad, and saved. I load the advanced query in ACT without any problems, but when I attempt to actually execute the search, ACT! freezes for about a minute, then a window pops up with an extremely large amount of errors. "Error Retrieving Contact Keys" and "Timeout Expired" are the notable ones. I did a similar search with far fewer criteria, and it work flawlessly, which points my brain to a limit of some sort.

So after that, here are my questions:  Does the advanced query function have a limit to the amount of unique criteria it can handle in one search? Is this an ACT! Issue, or could it be our server?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author GregJones
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Advanced Query Unique Criteria Limits?

GregJones - If you have written the history in ACT! for all Swiftpage E-mail blasts, then you can easily search for the criteria you mentioned. The Swiftpage E-mail History window in the Snapshot tab allows for an easy way to search the History records that are written when a Swiftpage E-mail blast is sent out.  It provides Keyword Search criteria that is easily copied, and allows searching for “Unopened” E-mails, “Opt-outs”, “Invalid” E-mail addresses, “Bounces”, and “Duplicates”. This can be further narrowed down to a campaign by campaign basis, or all E-mail Campaigns that have been sent out through Swiftpage. For detailed instructions please view our PDF guide Quick Start Guide - Snapshot - Swiftpage Email History.

If you have any questions about Swiftpage, please feel free to contact us at (877) 228-8377 option 2, email us at Support@swiftpage.com, or chat with us live at http://www.swiftpage.com/support/index.htm. Our support hours are 6am to 6pm MDT.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

There are several very good import addon programs that will do the updating without any problems, I think you should invest in one of them.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Solution
Accepted by topic author GregJones
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

GregJones - If you have written the history in ACT! for all Swiftpage E-mail blasts, then you can easily search for the criteria you mentioned. The Swiftpage E-mail History window in the Snapshot tab allows for an easy way to search the History records that are written when a Swiftpage E-mail blast is sent out.  It provides Keyword Search criteria that is easily copied, and allows searching for “Unopened” E-mails, “Opt-outs”, “Invalid” E-mail addresses, “Bounces”, and “Duplicates”. This can be further narrowed down to a campaign by campaign basis, or all E-mail Campaigns that have been sent out through Swiftpage. For detailed instructions please view our PDF guide Quick Start Guide - Snapshot - Swiftpage Email History.

If you have any questions about Swiftpage, please feel free to contact us at (877) 228-8377 option 2, email us at Support@swiftpage.com, or chat with us live at http://www.swiftpage.com/support/index.htm. Our support hours are 6am to 6pm MDT.