Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Adding new fields causes a time out error

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Elite Contributor
Accepted Solution

Adding new fields causes a time out error

I'm adding new custom fields to 2008 Premium. A timeout expired error message comes up.  I'm afraid that the problem is that I've maxed out my allowed custom fields. It is happening when I am in the layout screen.  I add a new field there. I think in 6.0, I had to add the field first from the define fields menu before  using it in the layout screen.  Perhaps I'm supposed to still add it first to the define fields before using it in the layout screen?

It the problem is too man custom fields, what is the limit and is there a way to increase the limit capacity?  Perhaps another version?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author tbudde
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Adding new fields causes a time out error

There isn't a limit on the number of fields you can have in a database.  If added to many fields to a layout, it will cause slow downs.  That limit is depends on the environment and resources available.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author tbudde
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

There isn't a limit on the number of fields you can have in a database.  If added to many fields to a layout, it will cause slow downs.  That limit is depends on the environment and resources available.
Copper Elite Contributor

I stopped having probs when I added the fields first via the define fields screen  like version 6.0. I don't know why the new version give the option to add a new field. That causes errors.
Platinum Elite Contributor

I have frequently added new fields from the layout editor though I try to avoid doing it that way because it is a slow process. I mainly use it when I have forgot to add one or two fields via define fields. The process of adding fields to the database while you are in the layout editor does put an additional strain on system resources and I suspect that you were mainly experiencing a system resource problem.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129