Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Adding Fields

Adding Fields

I am a brand new uesr, but am having a little trouble even though I have watched the video on the topic. I have created a new field using Tools, Define Field. However, when I go into the Design layout and add the field, the new field that i created is not in the list of available fields. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Adding Fields

Sounds like you added the field to one table and are editing the layout of a different table. For example a new company field but editing the layout for contact.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Elite Contributor

Also if you added a memo, picture field or yes/no  field you need to select these differently to other fields, it is an option on the left hand side.

Copper Contributor

I did this a lot when I started working with layouts especially for memo and character fields. Check to see if you are on the correct type of layout as Roy mentioned and then see if you are trying to add a Field, Memo, or yes/no field..

Another pointer... You can add a field to the layout only once... so if you added the field to the layout already ( maybe on another tab) then you will not be able to add that field to the layout and it will not appear in the list of available fields.

Thanks for the help everyone! I have one more question now, then I should be set for a bit. What is the process to add new tabs, or remove unneeded ones ex: Social updates web info etc?

Copper Contributor

To remove a tab, right click the name of the tab in the layout editor and select the Remove Tab option.

Platinum Elite Contributor

By tabs you mean such as Notes History or Opportunities, those are actually database tables and you would need and add on program that would allow you to add custom tables to the database.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Administrator

tncmac wrote:

Thanks for the help everyone! I have one more question now, then I should be set for a bit. What is the process to add new tabs, or remove unneeded ones ex: Social updates web info etc?

You can create new tabs and hide existing tabs by going to Edit > Tabs in the layout designer.

Act!_2016-07-12_15-46-00.png Act!_2016-07-12_15-47-04.png