Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Activities dropping from Opportunities on Remote Databases

Activities dropping from Opportunities on Remote Databases

Act 2011 Premium (13.1.111.0, Hot Fix 4). 

When completing an Activity associated with an Opportunity, and then clicking the Follow-up box to schedule a new Activity, the Opportunity does not stay associated.  This happens with a Remote/Sync database, not when working with the Main database.  We have multiple remote users with Sync databases and this strange problem affects the two we tried.

Any recommendations?

thanks in advance

Paul

Re: Activities dropping from Opportunities on Remote Databases

any recommendations?

Platinum Super Contributor

I've not been able to reproduce this issue.  To verify the steps:

- create activity for a contact

- associate it with an Opportunity

- clear the activity

- click Follow Up to create new activity

- click OK to save new activity

When I followed these steps, it retained the association with the Opportunity. 

Does the opportunity show in the Associate With field on the new activity, before you click OK to save it? 

Does it remain associated until it is sync'ed?

Have you created a new remote to test with?

Greg Martin
Sage

[ Edited ]

"When I followed these steps, it retained the association with the Opportunity."

it does for me as well when working with the "master" database; not when a "remote" database.

"Does the opportunity show in the Associate With field on the new activity, before you click OK to save it?"

Yes, until you click "OK," then it drops-off.  You have to Edit the Activity and re-associate the Opp

"Does it remain associated until it is sync'ed?"

The syncing process doesn't affect the Activity/Opportunity process.

"Have you created a new remote to test with?"

Yes, we created a new remote to test.  I also double checked the SQL server versions which I saw may be troublesome from an unrelated post.   They are both SQL Server 2008, but with different versions.  Could this be related?

Master Database server – SP1 (10.50.2500.0)

Example remote database computer – RTM, Build 10.501600.1

Thanks for looking into this!

Platinum Super Contributor

I have tried multiple machines, multiple remotes, and multiple builds of 2011 - but I have not been able to reproduce the issue. 

Some things to look for/try to narrow down the issue:

- You mention it happens with a couple of remotes, but not on the server.  Are you testing with the same username on remote and server?  If not, test with the same username.

- Do the usernames tested have the same access level within Sage ACT!?

- Do you have any field level security applied to the Opportunity fields?

- Is it happening with a particular Opportunity or multiple? 

- Do you have many Private contacts?  Could one be associated to the Opportunity?

On the workstation, open the demo database (or create a new database) and test with it.  This is to determine if it is actually an issue with the remote database - or an issue with the workstation.

I'm unable to determine if the differing versions of SQL could be a possible cause.  Don't believe so, but was unable to test. 

Greg Martin
Sage
Tuned Listener

I could not replicate this problem but I watched it happen on a remote instance of ACT! using join-me. 

The task was changed using the clear-task dialogue box and when the follow up was created the opportunity was no longer associated with it.  The user had to go back to the follow up task and assign the opportunity to it. 

This couldn't be replicated with the local installations or even with a demo remote database.  

The only way that I was able to make a task drop an opportunity was by deleting the opportunity itself - can it be that Act is briefly deleting the opportunity before recreating it? 

Tuned Listener

I've now been able to replicate the problem several times, in fact, I can't not have the issue now.

Here is what happens - An opportunity is entered and it is associated with a Contact, a Group and a Company.  From the opportunity screen choose an activity -  to do or call etc... 

You can schedule the activity normally and it appears to have all of its associations when you find it in the task list.  The task 'inherits' its associations from the opportunity (it seems).  Now, clear the activity and follow up - the newly scheduled activity appears and the contact association remains, though the group, the Company and the Opportunity have been shed. 

Is there a way to make these Associations more robust - or to edit the associations themselves?