Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Actdiag shows multiple connections from same clients in different versions of act!

Actdiag shows multiple connections from same clients in different versions of act!

HI,

Can you help me?

We are running ACT! 2012! premium with the latests updates. Over the last year it has slowed up and we have tried everything, we have the database on a server (Windows 2008 sbs 8gb quad core beast) and even moved the database to its own SSD drive! All the 6 client pcs are fairly fast too with 4gb, dual core toos.The database has a adf size of 70MB but lots of pdf attachments (4GB) . We are finding the general database searching is slow and it hangs alot.

But one thing I noticed in actdiag is that there are multiple connections from the previous versions we upgraded from, I've been round all the client machines and uninstalled act and Sql server completey and tried again but it still picks up these connections. Is that our problem? Or would you recommend anything else? Cheers in advance for any help!!

actdiag.gif

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Actdiag shows multiple connections from same clients in different versions of act!

Yes, I see that 2010/2011 program connections on systems with 2012 also ... not sure why. Maybe a dev didn't update some bits of code. Hasn't been an issue that's prompted me to spend time looking at.

What type of searches are slow - field, keyword, universal?
Have you made sure the database is excluded from any antivirus?
Is it slow when you do the functions on the server?
What else is running on the server (eg Exchange)?
How many users?
How many attachments? The size isn't as important as the number ... especially if getting around 10K

Also note SQL Express that comes with ACT! will only use 1GB RAM ...

Re: Actdiag shows multiple connections from same clients in different versions of act!

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes there are in total 6 users and there are in total 8000 attachments. The server is also our primary exchange server as well but nothing else is running on the server to slow it down. Also the database is on its own seperate SSD drive too.

When using ACT! on the server it doesn't appear to be slow at all, its just the network users. I have looked at the knowledge based article 25124 and excluded the listed files in the anti-virus too on both the server and all the clients. The users are saying its slow performing the keyword searches and also 'hangs' when performing operations like saving a record.

I wasn't aware SQL Express only uses 1GB ram, I have checked the actdiag and the database is using the express edition. Since the standard version is going to be a £500 upgrade by the looks of it. Do you think I should look at this option? Or do you recommend something else?

Kind Regards,

Brenden

A few possibilities:

1. Unfortunately (I've been complaining about this for years), ACT! stores all attachments (or shortcuts) in the same flat folder. In order to access it, Windows needs to load the directory table - this chews up RAM and takes a while to access or pass the info over the LAN

For the same reason ... delete temp files on server and workstation ... can be in a few different folder.

2. Exchange can be quite a hog, performance-wise

3. As it runs ok on the server, you might look at the network speed and congestion.

4. You might check the Windows Event logs for any messages that might be related

Other than that, you might have a look at running a sysmon tool to see where the bottleneck is

Thanks for the quick reply,

We have looked at our network recently and its all gigabit now, we have even section off certain network data to run on its own subnet. So I feel network speed/congestion can't be the problem and also only 6 users are only on the internal network.

The exchange service is a resource hog we have tried to get our users to archive their emails too. I've just had a look at the event viewer on the server and every few 30 seconds we are getting this error message -

Level - Information

Source - MSSQL#ACT7

Event ID - 18456

Login failed for user 'sa'. Reason: Failed to open the explicitly specified database. [CLIENT: <local machine>]

I'm having a look now, but we have never changed the sa password, surely act! will use window authentication ?

Kind Regards,

Brenden

Not sure if it's related to performance, but it's a good place to start.

I've seen a few posts with similar errors as a SQL issue ... don't have time to research now.

Have a try of these ACT! Knowledge Base articles -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20124

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25737