Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act6 and Act 2008 running at the same time

Copper Contributor

Act6 and Act 2008 running at the same time

I'm just starting down the path of upgrading a client from 6 to 2008 premium ST.

I have a seperate server for the new upgrade with the idea being that I would implement 2008 and SQL2005 on the new box and test with just one desktop 1st before a slow deployment.

I thought this would be fairly easy but what I don't want to do is convert their current Database until as late as possible. I had hoped I could just take a backup of their current DB and convert it for SQL2005.

Is this something that's possible?

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Act6 and Act 2008 running at the same time

Hi Will,

Your idea is possible and should work fine. You can back up the database in ACT 6 and unzip it to the machine you installed 2008 on and run the conversion. You'll want to make sure you run maintenance on the ACT 6 database before going through this process.

Also, just as an fyi for you, you can install 2008 on the ACT 6 database and upgrade on that machine. The upgrade of the database to 2008/SQL should not have any effect on ACT 6 continuing to work as normal. What happens is during the ACT6 db conversion to 2008, the ACT 6 database is actually copied then the copy of the database is converted leaving the ACT 6 database as is. As always though, I would recommend backing up the database before starting work, just incase.

Copper Contributor

Hi, thanks for your advise, just one more question though. When you say, run the conversion, are you referring to using the DB conversion wizard? Sorry, but VERY new to this. Kinda wish it wasn't up to me but at the same time at least I'll know the product when I'm finished Smiley Wink

Copper Contributor

Hi Will,

Simply open the ACT! 6 database through ACT! 2008 and the convert database wizard will automatically come up.  You may want to do some research on the different options for converting the database before you proceed ahead as you can either perform a standard conversion or custom conversion.  Depending on the extent of customization performed on the database, you may need to perform a custom conversion.

Adrian VanderLaan
Professional Computer Management Inc.
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Copper Contributor

Thanks Adrian,

I've just installed the 1st copy on a desktop. One question though, if I'm using a networked SQL 2005 do I still have to install express on every users machine like the install wizard dictates or is there some kind of silent install I can do from the server?

Copper Contributor

SQL Express will be installed on each workstation, there's no way around that.

As for installing from the server, ACT! supports silent installs.  You can find more on how to perform a silent install from KB article # 21658 or you can also find information in the ACT! Help file.

Adrian VanderLaan
Professional Computer Management Inc.
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Platinum Elite Contributor

The only issue is that you can only have one of them connected to Outlook... other than that no issue with 6.0 and 10.0

It is possible to change the ACT! SQL services (in services.msc) to not start and save some RAM on the workstations, providing you're not using ACT! Email or having any local databases on the workstations

Copper Contributor

Thanks guys.

Yesterday I backed up the old DB, and moved it to my new server. I set up a new pc and whacked on Act2008. I then tried to convert the old DB. My problem is that if I choose to convert the DB to the local machine there's no worries. If however I try and convert it to the new DB server it tells me it failed with system error 3, cannot find the path specified?? I've mapped the drive and there's no issues with that. I've shared all relevent folders but to no avail.
Any suggestions?

Platinum Elite Contributor

ACT! 10 can only create databases on the local machine. You should do this on the server.
Copper Contributor

Thanks again Mike, I've unistalled everything and am going to reinstall it all today and will hopefully have a good outcome.

Will inform later.

Cheers

Will