Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

[Act2012 Premium] Universal Search Problem

Copper Contributor

[Act2012 Premium] Universal Search Problem

Hello,

Right now we've encountered yet another problem with the Act Universal search.

The Act.Server.Host is reading enormous amounts of data from the SQL database, basically reading 3+GB (our database is only 1.5GB) filling up RAM, then dumping it all, only to do it again the next few seconds. While doing this the SQL Server process spikes in processor activity, making Act very slow for the 25 users using the program.

Here's an image of the activity happening.

Having checked out the Act.Server.Host process with an application we see that the application has read over 20.5 TB of data. This is an insane amount for something like this.

This can't be normal behaviour now can it? We've had our share of problems with the universal search, and although the feature is useful, right now it's killing performance for everything else.

Did Sage really think this through before implementing it?

As always I hope for a reply, more than that I hope for a solution. But I fear that as always these posts will go ignored by Sage.

Sage doesn't seem to give a about their customers, , you pay them thousands per year to upgrade to the latest version for 30 users. What do you get? Bugs, more errors, and no support.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: [Act2012 Premium] Universal Search Problem

Certainly that doesn't sound like normal behavior... I assume you are referring to the ADF when you say the database is 1.5 gb, how large is the Attachments folder within the 'database files' folder?
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

460 000 files, totalling 14GB.

These are already completely indexed though. We really don't know what the process is doing.

Copper Contributor

Going to bump this topic. Although bumping my own topic without a true reply goes against my principles, it seems this is necesary on the Act forum if you want your posts to get noticed....

Copper Contributor

Yet another bump.

Copper Contributor

Not going to let this go untill I have an awnser. I'm tired of Sage ignoring their customers when they have problems.

Ignoring problems does not make them go away Sage. Any report of a bug or a serious problem gets ignored on these forums. Only the easier (usually user error) problems get resolved here. If you're not going to give support then close your forums, but don't go heralding your "Sage Act Ecosystem" when you ignore your users...

Platinum Super Contributor

While there are options for obtaining technical suppport services from Sage, the 'Community' is provided as a service for users of Sage ACT! to interact with one another, it is not intended to be a Sage ACT! Technical Support site (see Sage ACT! Community Guidelines).

For your particular issue, I would recommend:

- Restore a copy of the database on a different computer - does it happen on the different computer?

- Detach the database causing the issue from SQL (through ACTDiag); create a new database, does it exhibit the same behavior?

- With the original database detached, restore a backup of the original database to a new name (Restore > Database > Restore As).  Let it complete the indexing and check the search process behavior.

These tests can help determine if the issue is isolated to the database or computer. 

If these tests do not help isolate the issue, you may want to consider contacting your local Sage ACT! technical support team directly for assistance.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

gmartin wrote:

While there are options for obtaining technical suppport services from Sage, the 'Community' is provided as a service for users of Sage ACT! to interact with one another, it is not intended to be a Sage ACT! Technical Support site (see Sage ACT! Community Guidelines).

For your particular issue, I would recommend:

- Restore a copy of the database on a different computer - does it happen on the different computer?

- Detach the database causing the issue from SQL (through ACTDiag); create a new database, does it exhibit the same behavior?

- With the original database detached, restore a backup of the original database to a new name (Restore > Database > Restore As).  Let it complete the indexing and check the search process behavior.

These tests can help determine if the issue is isolated to the database or computer. 

If these tests do not help isolate the issue, you may want to consider contacting your local Sage ACT! technical support team directly for assistance.

- We have a copy of the datatabase on our test server with identical hardware, same problem happens there.

- Creating a new database would be useless because it wouldn't have the millions and records and hundreds of thousands of attachments we have in our current database. Even if the behaviour would happen on the new database it wouldn't be noticeable due to the small size of the new database.

- Restoring as a new name might be worth a shot but will take us some time to test.

You mentioned this forum not being support and there being other support options available, mind pointing them out to us?

We've had (and still have) several other problems and bugs with Act. Here's the actions we've taken with those:

- We've contacted the Act Certified Consultant who sold us Act (2012,2011,2010, and before). We've sent them e-mails, we've called them. Each and every time we get a "We're working on it" reply, and after that we get ignored. We've never, even once, received a helpful reply from them. They've done nothing but ignore us.

- We've contacted Sage Belgium. At first we were quite hopeful, they replied. They informed us that they were reporting those bugs and would keep us updated. We never heard from them again.

- We've contacted Larry Ritter, Only to get ignored by him.

So forgive me if I come over quite frank and anoyed, but up untill now we've always had our problems ignored. Whether it's on the forum, by our ACC, by Sage Belgium or by Sage America. We are starting to wonder why we pay thousands of dollars each year to upgrade to a new version, while bugs that existed 2 or 3 versions before never get fixed. We are wondering why we're paying so much money, and not getting any support.

The only thing keeping us on Act right now is the fact that our employees are used to it, and we have 10 years of history in the database. This won't last forever though.

Bronze Elite Contributor

First we want to collect a log. 

In the program files directory for Act, modify Act.Server.Host.exe.config to delete <!-- in front of system diagnostics. I've made the part we want to delete large in the example below.

--------------------------------------------------------- 

<!-- You can enable search event Logging:
Uncomment the <system.diagnostics> section below.
The "@ActSearchService.log" log file will written to the Act! installation directory -->
<!-- <system.diagnostics>
<trace autoflush="true" indentsize="4">
<listeners>
<add name="ActSearchServiceListener"
type="System.Diagnostics.TextWriterTraceListener"
initializeData="@ActSearchService.log" />
<remove name="Default" />
</listeners>
</trace>
</system.diagnostics> -->

----------------------------------------------------------

End the process for the Act.Server.Host.exe and relaunch it. Wait a few minutes and collect and post @ActSearchService.log that was created in the program files directory for Act. 

Once complete we will make another change to the reindex threshold in the same config file. 

indexObsoleteThreshold="20"

to

indexObsoleteThreshold="90"

End the process for the Act.Server.Host.exe and relaunch it. Evaluate performance.  Collect the log again. 

Post your results. If you don't see any change revert settings. 

Thank you for your assistance. 

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Enabled the log, you can find it here

The spikes in memory (and CPU) usage seem to happen around these events in the log. Changed the IndexObsoleteThreshold value, at first the spikes seemed to have stopped but in the end they still happened, although with large intervals between them (once every few minutes, instead of once every few seconds).

15/03/2012 8:16:36 - Checking index (local)\act7\ACT_Dbase, local version is 81352...
15/03/2012 8:16:36 - Updating CONTACT,
15/03/2012 8:16:36 - Checking index (local)\act7\ACT2012Demo, local version is 25...
15/03/2012 8:16:36 -  done! Database version is 25
15/03/2012 8:16:36 - Updating HISTORY

Thanks by the way, this is the first time someone from Act has actually looked at one of our problems.

Also the config file seems to contain quite a few other values to tweak the universal search, except for the MaxDocuments and the BaseIndexFolder ones, I haven't seen the rest explained anywhere. Is there an explanation for all these values anywhere?

Edit: Spoke too soon, after a while even with the IndexObsoleteThreshold value at 90 the spikes eventually start happening every few seconds.