Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! v19 and failure to recognize the Office 64-bit interface HRESULT: 0x80040155

Tuned Listener

Re: Act! v19 and failure to recognize the Office 64-bit interface HRESULT: 0x80040155

[ Edited ]

It doesn't work.

I have 2 different computers - a desktop and a laptop. Both have the latest version of ACT 19. Both have Windows 10 and both use Office 2010 64 bit. All of those programs are updated to the latest releases and upgrades.

The interface doesn't work between ACT and Outlook when you use the 64 bit version of Office. It is the same issue as Juan Carlos reported in http://community.act.com/t5/Act-Premium/V19-and-the-Office-64-bit-integration/m-p/331093

I've spent hours with level 1 and level 2 support. Level 2 told me that it wasn't ACT but rather had to be an issue with my computers or my setup. They had me uninstall ACT, uninstall Office, clean my registry of all references to Office, reboot, install Office, do all of the upgrades, install ACT, etc.

I did everything that they asked and that still didn't fix the problem.

The problem is that ACT doesn't work in the real world with the 64 bit version of Office.

The solution is to quit trying to make it work. Just use the 32 bit version of Office. If you use the 32 bit version of Office, the interface works.

How that makes it "an issue with your specific environment" is beyond me.

I quit wasting my time trying to get it to work. There are only so many hours in the day. I uninstalled ACT, uninstalled Office 64 bit, installed Office 32 bit, reinstalled ACT and everything works. It's a miracle!

Good luck!

Administrator

Re: Act! v19 and failure to recognize the Office 64-bit interface HRESULT: 0x80040155

Hi Bill,

There have been some further improvements to the 64bit Office compatibility in the upcoming v19.0 update 4. This will address the error seen in the post you linked.
Copper Contributor

Gary,

Thanks for all the hard work on the new update 4, but it did not resolve the issue with Word 2016 64-bit compatibility. I tried the most basic integration of Outlook 2016 64-bit with Act! 19 with update 4 installed and voila, an e-mail would generate with the e-mail address from the contact record populated in the "to:" field in an Outlook 2016 64-bit e-mail form. So something works, but not a letter, fax or other document generated by mail-merge using Word 2016 64-bit. The same message appears thus:

Unable to cast COM object of type 'Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word.ApplicationClass' to interface type "Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word._Application'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{00020970-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}' failed due to the following error: Interface not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040155).

Interface not registered.  This sounds like some sort of registry issue, something is not pointing to the right directory in the mail-merge process. 

What else can be wrong here? It still does not work. 

Regards,

Ed

Administrator

Hi Ed,

A few things to try:

1. Close Word and Act!
  2. Windows Key+R and enter %AppData%\Microsoft\Templates
  3. Delete the file named Normal.dotm
  4. Open Word to recreate this file
  5. Close Word
  6. Open Act! and test mail merge again

Try running both Act! and Word as Administrator in Windows.

If these steps do not resolve the issue, try running an Office repair.

If this also does not resolve the issue, I would suggest uninstalling Act! and Office, and reinstalling Office, then Act!

We upgraded on the advice of ACT. In addition we moved to Office 2016 and since this time we have been plagued with issues. ACT conveniently imply these are local to out brand new PC's and significant expense has been incurred in an attempt to bring our systems into line with ACT when I would suggest the fault is with ACT. I have read this forum and it would seem I am not alone in my concerns. I think ACT need to resolve these issues before alternative client management systems are sought.   

We also have been experiencing issues with Act version 19, here are our issues:

• We upgraded to ACT version 19 just after 23rd January
  • Once the update was done we could no longer attach emails from outlook 2007 to the ACT contacts.
  • we contacted ACT who advised us that the new version ACT 19 was not compatible with outlook 2007 and would be advisable to upgrade to the latest version of office.
  •  upgraded to the newest version of office, 2016, 365.
  • we still had issues with the emails attaching to ACT contacts.
  • One PC after several attempts at uninstalling and installing office and ACT worked and the add-ins are available.
  • One our two other PC's more attempts were made ( please see from your logs ) more uninstalling and re installing..... still no add-in showing.
  • it was suggested that an office remover tool was to be used and our IT were contacted to do this and again do an uninstall and reinstall of office and ACT.
  • Our IT guy spent 2/3 hours on 23/2/17 doing the install and re install..... still the add-ins do not work. (cost £85.00 per hour)
  • Cam at ACT then suggested we get another PC, separate to the ones we have, and do an install again to check if this is the PC casing the problem.
  • We have upgraded to office 2016,365 so ACT could work.... this is not the case.
  • We have spent several days with ACT remotely logging in and doing what fixes were needed for it still not to work....

Everything worked fine before the upgrades. Does anyone out there have a solution? Remaining with ACT being a preference .... but not for much longer! 

Administrator

Hi Templebar,

I'm sorry to hear that this issue has been proving tricky to solve.
I've had a read over the notes on your recent ticket for this ongoing issue, and taking into account the extent of the troubleshooting that already been done, I agree that the next logical step would be to use another PC as a testbed to see if a new installation of Act! also experienced the same issue. This would help us rule out any environmental factors on the affected machines. An alternative to this would be an OS reinstall on the affected machine.

Hi Gary

Thank you for your reply.

Even if this worked on another pc, it still doesn't resolve the fact that it was all working fine before we updated to version 19 and office 365....

we are not prepared to do a full re install... this wold cost us a full day if IT, which it has already cost a half a day so far and its still not fixed!

We have two new PCs, one works ok, and has the act addins for the email attachment, the other does not.

we need another suggestion???

Astute Commentator

I'm sorry to hear what you're going through with v.19 and Office.  What a pain!

I'm watching this thread because I haven't "upgraded" yet from v. 18.  I'm scared to do it because of horror stories like yours.

Whenever a new version of ACT! is released, we're encouraged to install it right away.  But we as users are like Beta Testers which screws us up.

If you want to continue using ACT!, the only defense against this is to wait 6 months after each upgrade before installing it.

Copper Contributor

Three things have been my experience:

1. V19 and Office 365 64-bit do not play any better in the sand box than they did when Act! was just version 18.

2. This forum is basically great to watch others whine about their problems and perhaps a support person will look over here, but they have no more solutions, even for "Subscribers" of the Act! Premium or even Hosted.

3. If you have Hosted and wish to downgrade to just the desktop version, they call it Premium,. you will not be able to access your former hosted database but you will be charged for both. Then they will not refund your prior subscription, perhaps they are going down? I've been waiting for a refund for three months. NO HELP.

So sticking with Act! 18 may be a great way to protect your computer, your data and your wallet. Wish I had adopted that stance myself!

JM
Nickel Contributor

I don't see in past reply posts, so can you check:
1. Control Panel | System with processor, RAM and if System type is 64-bit OS, x64-basd CPU.

2. Then in Program and Features | sort by Name and scroll to "Microsoft SQL Server.." to confirm you only have these. Because if you had installed old version of ACT! or Office the older SQL 2008-2012 server is not supported in Windows 10.
2008 Setup (probably there is another older app or add-in needs it but not server so its OK to have.
2012 Native Client
2014 (64-bit)
2014 Setup English
2014 Transact-SQL
Microsoft VSS Writer for SQL Server 2014.

3. Does your PC motherboard support UEFI and if not seeing it during BIOS bootup see if in there and turned on?
Windows START type "System Information" from view of Summary look at line "BIOS Mode"
I point it out because your running Excel on worksheet over 2GB?
I assume your Drive Partition is GPT.

4. Not sure of your hardware version or how you installed Win10 64 bit. If you had upgraded from win-XP,7, or 8 you should read article to make sure you did it correctly now that your installing Office 64bit and ACT!.
http://winaero.com/blog/install-windows-10-using-uefi-unified-extensible-firmware-interface/

5. What ACT, Office add-on's do you have installed because not all are supporting 64bit.

I notice one post that running Apple computer with Parallels that I guess your running Office and ACT! within and not running on Windows PC hardware?

JM