05-14-2014 02:50 PM - edited 06-07-2014 04:36 PM
I am using Act! v16 Premium. After updating it to sp1 (16.1), the "write e-mail message (from template)" and mail merge functions stopped working. I am using office 2013 (not office 365).
This problem has already had an article in Act! knowledgeable:
The problem has been fixed in SP1 HOT FIX 1 ( However, there still isn't any official document regarding this hot fix).
Now a new version SP1 HOT FIX (act16sp1hf1b.exe) released on June 6th, still no official document regarding the the hot fix.
It seems the issue is still under investigation.
I found a temporary but not perfect workaround for this issue.
BE CAREFUL, BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING!
For 64-Bit version of windows, find following items in your computer's registry (regedit.exe), and change the value of the key name "LoadBehavior" from 3 to 9.
For 32-Bit Version of Windows, do the same thing (change the value of the key name "LoadBehavior" from 3 to 9) to the following items in your pc's registry (regedit.exe).
Now, you are able to use the "write e-mail message (from template)" and mail merge functions again.
However, this workaround is not perfect. Because the content of the template contains some strange Asian character chaotic code. You have to double check and manually delete them before sending.
If any swiftpage/Act! employee see this post, please suggest a better workaround. Also hope this post can help your work.
It's been almost two weeks since 05/08/2014. Still no official solution from Swiftpage. I am wondering what did they do during these days.
What a horrible company! I didn't remember Sage had such slow reaction. I really should stop using act after Sage sold it to Swiftpage. Now every time when Swiftpage releases an ACT update, it will also contain some add-on features with extra charge. And this behavior makes me feel swiftpage just wants to get more money from me instead of providing a stable product to me.
Don't think so? Please tell me why they are so slow on fixing problems.
---------Updated on 05/23--------
I sent an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Now I am waiting for their answer.
---------Updated on 05/23---------
I received an email from swiftpage with the download link of SP1 Hot Fix 1. However, that hotfix is useless. What it does is my workaround. After applying it, I still get strange Asian character chaotic code. See the picture below.
---------Updated on 05/27-----
I re-installed the official released SP1 Hotfix 1 from ACT website. This new hotfix solved the issue.
05-14-2014 09:36 PM
05-14-2014 10:06 PM
05-22-2014 12:13 AM - edited 05-22-2014 12:22 AM
It's been almost two weeks since 05/08/2014. Still no solution from Swiftpage. I am wondering what did they do during these days. I really should stop using act after sage sold it to Swiftpage. What a horrible company! I didn't remember Sage had such slow reaction. Now every time when Swiftpage releases an update, it will always contain some add-on features with extra charge. And this makes me feel swiftpage just wants to get more money from me instead of providing a stable product to me.
05-25-2014 02:06 PM
05-27-2014 08:18 AM
Yes, the new official released hotfix solved the problem.
I actually got this hotfix from customer service 1 day before the official release. However, the hotfix I got from customer service didn't work. Anyway, the official released hotfix works.
05-27-2014 09:27 AM
05-27-2014 05:06 PM
I agree. When Act still belonged to Sage, I remember such information was easy to find, like known issues, list of fixed issues. Now, it is getting worse. For example, v16 SP1 HOT FIX 1 has been released. However, there isn't any document regarding this fix.
05-27-2014 06:22 PM