Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act v16 SP1 HF1 no longer assigns Last Name (entered first) when followed by comma in Contact Field

Copper Contributor

Act v16 SP1 HF1 no longer assigns Last Name (entered first) when followed by comma in Contact Field

Since updating from Act Premium v16 Hotfix 4 to SP1 Hotfix 1, there has been a change in the way Act assigns first and last name.  In all previous versions, when entering Last Name (first) followed by a comma then First Name in Contact field, Act correctly recognized that the string preceding the comma was the Last Name.

After updating to v16SP1, whatever is entered first in the Contact field preceding a space is written to First Name field.  Additionally, a comma is included as part of the name and there is no option to select a name that does not include a comma in the Contact Dialog box.

I have replicated this on multiple workstations.

Example:

All versions of Act prior to v16 SP1 HF1:

If Contact = “Jones, David” then

First Name = “David” and Last Name = “Jones” (note that there is NO comma in either string)

In Act v16 SP1 HF1:

If Contact = “Jones, David” then

First Name = “Jones,” and Last Name = “David” (note comma end of first string)

PLEEEEEEASE (with extra sugar on it) address this in the next Hotfix.  If Swiftpage wants to keep this as a default, at least create a Name Preference on Admin tab that sets a comma to delineate the string that precedes it as Last Name.

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Act v16 SP1 HF1 no longer assigns Last Name (entered first) when followed by comma in Contact Field

May I add that when attempting to schedule a call or meeting, the dropdown box for the contact name doesn't populate beyond the first person it finds with the letter string that's been typed in.  VERY annoying. PLEASE fix!

Astute Commentator

Re: Act v16 SP1 HF1 no longer assigns Last Name (entered first) when followed by comma in Contact Field

I join the original post with similar claim. Act! developers, independently from how big appretiation I have towards them, many times they neglect that Act! is an international software (or should be at least) like MS Office. We will loose customers even more against MS and other, less US market focused competitors. (MS builded versions even for small languages. The comma function worked well, since as early as Act!6 . Why to change something which has worked well?. It is the way, how big databases work. Always Family name first, comma, afterwards Christian (first) name. For example the Hungarian way of thinking reflects this the best way... there are millions of Peter and thousand of Muller's in an aphabetic list (Phonebooks, etc,.) Would you first look for the million Peter's (standing first) or the thousands of Muller's (standing first)? Definitely NOT. And this solution with comma bridged the problem, making some extra work for members of nations using either name order, but was valid for both  name orders. Well, please implement the original function of comma into the International version of Act! Thanks indeed.

Oszkár
Copper Super Contributor

We are all experiencing this issue too since the latest patch Act! Premium Version 16.1.207.0, Hot Fix 1 If we schedule any meeting, to-do etc, it gets stuck after entering the last name and won't let us enter the first name You can use the drop down list to select contacts but it is VERY slow Please fix asap! Thank you
Andy Kent
Angel Solutions (UK and NZ)
www.angelsolutions.co.uk
Bronze Super Contributor

Have you tried using the right arrow? It's what I have used for years.

Start typing the first contact "huff"   ( auto fills 'Chris Huffman' )

Right-arrow ( or END key) , then semi-colon

Start typing your second name and repeat.

-- Jim Durkin

Copper Super Contributor

The right arrow doesn't work.  You now get an annoying pop-up box that says "Unrecognized Contact" "THe following Entry Is not Recognized".  So, if you cancel that, you go back to the contact list and it lands you at the top of the alphabetic list of contacts. Finding a contact with a common last name is very time consuming with close to 15,000 contacts. 

Please, Please Fix This!!

Bronze Super Contributor

My right arrow is working. And I tried a few different keyboard layouts. Maybe we are doing the same thing differently?

Can you give me the exact steps, click by click so I can recreate?

Thanks

-- Jim Durkin

Copper Super Contributor

Steps:

I open the Schedule Activity box.   (CTRL-L)

Type a name into the Schedule WIth box - Smith, for example

That field populates with the "Smith, Ann" and stops

When I use the arrow keys or mouse to get different "Smith" contact record or to keep typing the first name - to get the perspon I want, I'm getting the "unrecognized Contact" pop-up as I mentioned earlier. 

Copper Contributor

Nice catch Jim.  When entering last name first, using a semicolon ";" instead of a comma after the last name (first part of string preceding space) and Act v16 SP1 HF1 correctly identifies everything before the ";" as last name.  Well done.  Not sure if I would call the matter resolved but this work around definitely puts it in the solved column as far as I'm concerned.

One thing I have learned from this exercise is to always include last name field on Contact Layout.

Astute Commentator

I'm afraid it is not acceptable to change a basic feature of the sw without prior notice and warning all users, that playing rules have been changed with a new update. Alphabetic order - in a global world, like ours - works under some common rules, which are valid for all type of name orders. Comma was quite good and worked well, until the last Act! release. It has been totally destroyed with the latest update&hf. Replacing comma with semicolon for a basic function of the software is like a global car vendor has changed the order of clutch, brake and accelator order in his new models. Please turn back to the comma and let us know when it happens. Many txs indeed.

Oszkár