Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! v16: Import contacts and link them to the right company (two companies with same name but different addresses)

Act! v16: Import contacts and link them to the right company (two companies with same name but different addresses)

I am doing an experiment with importing contacts into Act! v16 Premium from an Excel file. I would like the contacts that I am importing to be automatically linked to existing companies in the database during the import. I have succeeded in making this happen, when the company names in the database are unique.

Now I am having problems with succeeding with this because I have two companies with the same name but on different geographical locations (different addresses). I have tried specifying the different addresses in the Excel file, but it seems as if the import wizard only matches on the “Company” field. Therefore the two contacts are linked to the same location of the company, where I want each of them to be linked to the right location (as specified in the Excel file).

Is this even possible?

I have not been able to find out a way to make Act! “consider” more fields than just “Company” when importing contacts into Act!. I would like Act! to also consider the field “Address 1”.

In the Excel file I have specified the following fields:

Company (same for both contacts)

Address 1 (different for the two contacts)

Contact (contact’s name which is different for the two contacts)

The above is just an example. Of course, it would be easy to just type in these two contacts. But I am trying to figure out how I can use the import feature for situations with hundreds of contacts to import.

Best regards,

Kim

I am on Windows 7. We are running a shared database from a server. Act! Premium Version 16.0.291.0, Hot Fix 4

Re: Act! v16: Import contacts and link them to the right company (two companies with same name but different addresses)

Hello Mr. BlipBlopDK,

Importing/Exporting Data to Act! v16 Premium is one of our Main Jobs - The CRMADDON Factory GmbH has a special tool called Import|IT where it is possible to do exactly that.

The Import|IT can handle exactly that feature you required:

You can set the "duplicate check" on your own! Meaning if you have for example 2 companies with the same name, there is no problem to import them! just set the duplicate check to "address" as you want it in your example.

The Screenshot in the manual here fits exactly your requirements:

http://helpnew.crmaddon.com/helpconsole2010/Import_New_EN/static/default.htm?companies_divisions_imp...

There you can see how to choose the "duplicate check"

You can try the import for free 14 days! The Free Version is limited to 10 imports. You would need for your job the "Import|IT Advanced (you can choose after the Trial installation which version you want to test)

Just have a look here: http://www.crmaddon.com/en/addons-en/act-addons/data-management/import-it#overview

Here is the manual for the import: http://helpnew.crmaddon.com/helpconsole2010/Import_New_EN/static/

It is also possible for us to do this for you. In this case you would need to buy Premium Support depending on the hours needed for the import. Premium Support can be bought here:

https://www.crmaddon.com/en/shop-en/support/premium-support-unit

Please let us know if there are any question left!

best regards

CRMADDON Factory - Marc Fink

Re: Act! v16: Import contacts and link them to the right company (two companies with same name but different addresses)

Hello Marc Fink,

Thank you for replying.

I have taken a look at your software and it seems like it can "do the trick". I will have to try it first to see how it works.

Anybody else have any ideas / workarounds to the original challenge?

BR

Kim

Bronze Elite Contributor

When ACT V16 was in beta we did ask for this to be looked at and I am not sure if SP1 will address this. We requested that ACT use the de-duplication fields in company records to link to the correct company records and also to create the company with all linked fields as an option. Not sure if this is being addressed but hope it is.