Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! slow, errors over VPN since last weeks Windows XP Pro update

Act! slow, errors over VPN since last weeks Windows XP Pro update

We have a shared database on our office network using Act 2007 Premium for Workgroups.  A few users are in other offices, and thus connect through VPN.  Last week, after the Windows update, they began having problems and Act is basically unusable.  It is extremely slow, and usually times out before loading, or just hangs.  If it does load, there are many different errors encountered during use, especially contact errors.  Act is running fine for network users (non-VPN).  The VPN users can get to other network resources normally.  Is anyone else having this problem?  Any suggestions?  Thanks very much. 
Tuned Listener

Re: Act! slow, errors over VPN since last weeks Windows XP Pro update

Have you tried uninstalling that paticular update?
Take a look at add remove programs and make sure there is a check in show updates, try unistalling the update and see if the fix's the issue

Yes, we tried uninstalling the updates, but the same problem is happening. 
Copper Contributor

Are the VPN users accessing the main database over the VPN or are they using a Remote Database?

I never suggest customers to access a network DB over a VPN. Everytime you access information(changing contacts, looking at the calendar...) in ACT it has to travel through the internet. Access speed on a local network < 1ms, access speed over the internet 30+ (up to who knows). You can see how it can lag.

Best bet is to create a remote DB for the VPN users. You can synchronize over the VPN all at once. Having a local copy of the DB would improve their experience a lot.
Ben Leong
Certified ACT! Consultant
www.accentgold.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

elizellis wrote:
We have a shared database on our office network using Act 2007 Premium for Workgroups.  A few users are in other offices, and thus connect through VPN.  Last week, after the Windows update, they began having problems and Act is basically unusable.  It is extremely slow, and usually times out before loading, or just hangs.  If it does load, there are many different errors encountered during use, especially contact errors.  Act is running fine for network users (non-VPN).  The VPN users can get to other network resources normally.  Is anyone else having this problem?  Any suggestions?  Thanks very much. 

What VPN product? Did the VPN server also have an update?
Can you post some of the errors?
Can you post the exact version of ACT! from Help | About?

The VPN is run through the router, which didn't update, but the server that the network runs through was updated.   I can't , however, uninstall those updates, because it will cause others to have problems. There were several types of errors, but the user hasn't been able to get Act to load since then, so she hasn't been able to tell me the exact errors.  They were pertaining to contacts mostly, one being similar to:  error retrieving batch of contacts.  Currently, Act hangs when it tries to load.  The version is:  ACT! by Sage Premium for Workgroups 2007 (9.0) (EX Edition) Version 9.0.1.162.  Thanks very much. 

I'd really like an error message... without this, it's not easy to guess at the cause.

If ACT! hangs, there may be an error in the Windows Event Log.

Sorry I didn't get the error message to you sooner.  I am out of the country for a conference and can't get a decent interent connection.  Here is the error message that the user receives, when the database does load. 

Act.Framework.Contacts.ContactManagerDB+ContactManagerDBException: Error retrieving a batch of contacst à

System. Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout Expired. The time out period elapsed prior to the completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

At System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqulException exception, Boolean breakConnection)

That is just the beginning of the error.  The user says that it goes on for 41 lines. 

Please note that the reason we haven't used remote databases is because we had trouble getting the users to synch, and thus we didn't have the information we needed.  They will still have to synch across VPN because they aren't in our office.  If we must, then we will go back to using remote dbs.  Thanks very much for your assistance.  Also, we do have another remote user that can get to the database through VPN just fine. 

In ACT! 8, this problem was fixed with an update of the Network Sync Service (I assume that's what you're using?)

You might try increasing the timeout settings in ACTDIAG as per this Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/26xnfy

Since we aren't using the remote db, we aren't using Network Sync Service.  When they VPN, they are on our netowrk and connect to the db normally.  I will trying increasing the timeout settnigs.  I just received the new version of Act! (2008), so hopefully that won't have the same problem.  I hope to roll it out in the next week.  Thanks for your assistance.