Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act premium V10 and Act premium Web V10

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act premium V10 and Act premium Web V10

I tried to get myself and some EU and Asian guys in a team to help Sage with the localisation, but Sage's Regionalisation means that the North American guys only deal with the NA ACCs (and this is where the dev happens)... there doesn't seem to be a central resource for int'l users/resellers to combine knowledge and suggestions. Localisation needs to be planned earlier in the process.

An example of this is that phone numbers were always added as US when contacts were created from Outlook or ACT! Premium for Web till 10.01 despite many in the regions complaining about it since 7.0

I can tell you there are some functions, reg keys, folder names and field names that are converted and require additional testing by add-on developers who want to sell in Europe.

While currency conversions are a seperate request, it would not be that difficult to create a system to do it similar to the Time Zone changes now possible in ACT! Prem for Web with the Admin being able to state what currencies were available and the internal exchange rates to be used (or even have an exch rate table on act.com with ACT! automatically using this when a user selects to change)

If one of the product managers would like to contact me off-line, I'd love to put together a small team with members from EU, Asia, UK, Australia and work to get these all resolved for ACT! 11.... if you know anyone who might have the appropriate responsibility and the authority to make this happen, please pass on my details. I know the ACCs in each area who understand the issues and could even host the discussions on my news server.
Copper Contributor

I think that's a great idea! 

It'd be fantastic if a PM contacted you offline to set this up but I wouldn't hold your breath.  What I'd suggest is let's set up the group and I'll contribute whatever I can.  I know everyone who might have the appropriate responsibility and the authority to make this happen... that's not to say I can have much influence.  But I can help refine the suggestions and propose engineering fixes that might alleviate the impact to the schedule, as well as bounce our ideas off friends on the dev team.

However, I wouldn't get too excited about this happening in 11.0 as planning for that release has long been in the works and resources are already fully allocated I'm sure.

I'm helping some guys build a new add-on right now and the intention is to go global... identifying the most common/critical I18N defects sounds highly beneficial, even if Sage were slow to react to our input. 

I'm going in to the office this afternoon for the ACT! 10.02 Beta Day and I'll mention this thread to anyone I see who might be interested...

Jason Sellers
ACT! Engineer 2000-2007
Highlighted

Thank to everybody for your answers

Olivier
Platinum Elite Contributor

Jason, I can organise a news server, email list server or other method and invite ACCs and tech users that I know with each language version, but without some "official" staff member or PM, I just don't see the value for the effort (mine or theirs).

I appreciate your offering to funnel some of the results to the people you know, but I think this idea deserves someone with responsibility and authority to give more than false hope.

The German version of ACT! 10 was only release about a week ago, and I hear the translation is really messy with some parts still in English and some not correctly translated. I know perople that would do the translation much faster and with more accuracy than the guys in Dublin.

Wanna share the function of the add-on you mention? Here or via email.... I can help a lot with add-on marketing, especially in the regions.

Re 10.02, I'll send you an email.

Was anyone interested when you went it and mentioned this thread?