Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act practical database size limits

Act practical database size limits

Hi - just brought in to work with an Act system - don't know Act, but know databases and servers well - they're experiencing very slow performance. I plan on getting in and doing some perf checking on the database, make sure there aren't missing indexes, key queries are optimized, etc.  But as a first blush, can someone give me a sense of what practical size limits an Act database has.  Their current situation:

Act! Premium for Web 2009

Server - 2.5GHz Opteron, 2GB memory, decent disks in RAID0 config

MS SQL Server 2005 standard

2 databases - total of 115,000 records

ADF size - one is 1.1GB, the other is 780MB

Not using attachments, that folder is empty

The server in general seems healthy, no obvious problems. SQL Server is certainly capable of handling that many records on this class of server - unless there's something unique about the Act schema that places greater than usual demands on a db.

Any thoughts, before i begin serious "explain plan" type optimization?  One person suggested that that DB size is too big, and we need to split the database by regions ... really?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act practical database size limits

ACT! 2009 comes with SQL 2005 Express, by default. This has a limit of 4GB for the ADF....
ACT! 2011 comes with SQL 2008 Express, which has a limit of 10GB.
Both of these can also use SQL Standard (2005 for ACT! 2009 and 2008 for ACT! 2011) ... this removes the database size limit.

Processor speed is not that important unless you have >20 users

2GB is fairly low (especially for web, >10K contacts or >10 users) ... SQL Express can only use 1GB Ram, but IIS and anything else might impact this.

Drive speed (in rpm) is really important... and, if you have the option, RAID5/6 is usually faster

Also, the later versions of ACT! are faster, given the same specs.

Thanks, Mike - so memory is likely impacting us, I'll have to look at that in more detail -- to size an upgrade, is there a rule of thumb, based on size of database/# of contacts?  They have 7 - 8 concurrent users, but > 100K contacts.

And are there noted performance differences between SQL Server Express and Standard?  I'm pretty sure they're Standard, but if not, and if performance is better, we could consider an upgrade.

thx!

Platinum Elite Contributor

I'd say 4GB RAM with Express (it can only use 1GB)... maybe 8GB if you get SQL Standard.

SQL Standard can be faster if you have plenty of RAM and/or multiple processors (SQL Express only 1 processor)

On you config, Standard wouldn't be faster (no additional RAM/processors for it to use) ....

You might also find upgrading to ACT! 2011 gives a boost for Web performance

The other thing to look at is what else runs on the server? EG: If running MS Exchange, it's a real memory hog with no way to limit it.