Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! moved to a new server and need to change the documents links

Act! moved to a new server and need to change the documents links

Act! Premium v19.0.147.0 Update 5

Server 2012 R2

SQL Server 14 Express

After installing Act and moving the database, I was able to get everyone logged into the new server...however the documents attachments are still showing as being on the old server. 

Where did I go wrong and how do I fix it? 

Administrator

Re: Act! moved to a new server and need to change the documents links

Hi cee1510,

It sounds like the documents were attached as shortcuts instead of attaching the actual file into the database. This means that Act! will look for the file in the old location where it was originally located. If the file has been moved, or that location is no longer accessible, the shortcut will no longer work.

There are two types of shortcuts that can be added to the Documents tab, shortcuts to files and shortcuts to folders. You can see from the Documents tab in Act! which of these has been used for each attachment.

• File shortcuts will list the file type as the actual file type, and the path will be to an .lnk file. This is a Windows shortcut file which contains the location of the original file as its destination.
  • Folder shortcuts will list the file type as Shortcut, and the path will be the path to the destination folder.

If the documents have been added as file shortcuts, their destination locations can be updated en-masse using a third-party tool. See the info in this thread for more details.

If you have used folder shortcuts, you can restore the shortcut by recreating the folder structure as shown in the attachment path, and moving the relevant folder contents into it. Alternatively you can edit the shortcut path to point to the new location.