Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! locks me out of SQL SERVER 2005 Express: 'sa' password not working

Act! locks me out of SQL SERVER 2005 Express: 'sa' password not working

Act! locks me out of SQL SERVER 2005 Express: 'sa' password and window authentification not working any more

I am using Act! Premium 2009
I set up manually the Act! instance as it is specified at support

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1938...

After installing SQL SERVER 2005 I can acces the server with 'sa' and windows authentification
But after I run SecurityCmdLnApp.exe with my sa password and run Act! I can not  no more access the SQL server even if I exit Act!

I want to have access the sql server because I want to import a relational database into the tables of Act!
The import featured included in Act! is limited and I don't want to buy the Act! itImport tool.
I want to do it myself!

Nickel Contributor

Re: Act! locks me out of SQL SERVER 2005 Express: 'sa' password not working

SecurityCmdLnApp.exe encrypts the sa password. If you enabled it during the SQL installation you can still log into the management studio with windows authentication.

The problem is even if the 'sa' account is enabled at installation I can't log on with it anymore.

Before running for the first time Act! I can connect both with 'sa' password and windows authentification in Management Studio

but afterwards no.

In the log file I have the following errors:

Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 11.
 Logon       Login failed for user 'ASVED\Administrator'. [CLIENT: <local machine>]

Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 8.

Logon       Login failed for user 'sa'. [CLIENT: <local machine>]

For 'sa' I log in with pass set at install.

I use microsoft sql server 2005 express with service pack 3.

Nickel Elite Contributor

The ACT! program requires SQL to be installed via Mixed Mode authentication, not Windows Authentication.

May I ask why you chose to install SQL as a manual install rather than letting the ACT! Product install it for you?

Right now, the easiest solution for you is to uninstall the ACT7 instance via Add/Remove programs from the control panel (this under the Microsoft SQL Server line item), uninstall your ACT! software, then, allow the ACT! software to completely reinstall the application.

Please post your results.

Matthew McFadden

asved,

What you're trying to do cannot be done without you developing your own addon or purchasing ACT! an addon like itImport.

I did intall with mix mode. I want to have access to the Act! database on Ms sql server.

I also installed Act! and Sql server by the provided setup program with no problems but what I noticed on Windows Server 2003 and WinXp Sp3

is that I can't connect to Ms sql server 2005  with Managment Studio in no way.

As I said mentioned in my first post I need this because of import, i don't want to buy itImport and the included import of the program is limited for me.

Thank you for your answers.

Thank you dlunceford! The last thing I will try, something like:

1) Enter sample data with Act!

2) Backup the sql database

3) Uninstall sql server

4) Reinstall sql server

5) copy the backed up database

6) make the import

7) Set up the password for Act! with the provided .exe

8) Connect with Act!

Nickel Elite Contributor

Accessing the tables in ACT! is not allowed by design, unless you purchase a specific utility that exposes th SA password after the install.  SQL Express Management studio will not connect to this instance.

Regardless of the SA password you assign during the manual creation of the ACT7 instance, once you connect to ACT!, the password is encrypted.

thanks

Matthew McFadden

Thank you for your answer. I had the hunch the Act! changes the SA password. But in theory: what about the case if I uninstall Sql server 2005 but I backup the sql server database? I reinstall it and copy the backup and do my import stuff. This is only valid in the case if Act! database rezides only on sql server.

Because of this lock feature Act! cannot be installed where other programs use also Sql server, see Web Scraper. Yes in the case of multiple instances.

But no in the case you wanna  administer your own database.

Nickel Elite Contributor

I am afraid I don't understand your comment regarding the inability to install on a machine where other programs also use SQL Server.

The ACT7 instance lives independent of any other SQL Express / 2005 instances on the machine, so its presence will have no affect on access to other instances if you have the SA password for the other instances.

thanks

Matthew McFadden