Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! is SLOW

Act! is SLOW

I've upgraded from Act!2000 to Act! Pro 2011.  This new version runs very slow however.  I've deleted many of my notes in the records in an effort to get it to run at a reasonable speed.  We've also cleared our Activities from 400 to 50 but it's still slow.

I'm running Windows Server 2008 Enterprise

4GB RAM

Quad 3.2 GHz processor

1.5TB 7200 RPM HDDs

The processor usually shows between 6-50% use, sometimes jumping to 100% but not often and not for long.   The RAM is about 80% used.

Not sure what makes it so slow when the machine seems to be so idle but my sales people complain about it several times a day and want to go back to Act!2000 but I can't since it won't run on a 64bit machine. 

I need suggestions about how to get this to an acceptable speed for them.

Copper Contributor

Re: Act! is SLOW

Try reinstalling or upgrading to SQL standard instead of the default install which uses SQL Express. 

Here are some walkthroughs for those solutions. 

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2522...

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2521...

Also, no version of ACT runs x64 because it's a 32 bit application, if you look, it installs under Program Files (x86) so if you wanted to you can go back to your old version of ACT, but you can't downgrade the database, so any changes made to the database since your last backup of the old system will be wiped out (assuming you still have a backup of your database in ACT 2000 format).  

I can't go back to the old version of Act because it will not install on a 64 bit OS.  I understand the program is running at 32 bit but the installer won't allow the installation on the older version of the program.   I tried repeatedly and I searched the Sage Community and everything I found said you can't install Act!2000 onto a Windows 2008 64 bit server.

You're saying SQL standard runs faster than SQL express?   I don't know much about SQL but usualy "express" implies speed where "standard" implies normal speeds.  So normal is faster than fast?

Copper Contributor

Oh, I see now, I didn't realize the installer wouldn't run in the x64 environment. One workaround for that would be to use HyperV on your 2008 server and install a 32bit OS to run ACT in that HyperV environment. 

For SQL, Express is the free edition, that's what gets installed by default when you install ACT. Standard is the non-free version that comes with the ACT product, but you have to install it manually. Here is a feature comparison for the versions of SQL so you can see why Standard works better than Express: http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/editions.aspx.

Here's some info on HyperV if you want to check it out. http://www.microsoft.com/hyper-v-server/en/us/deployment.aspx

Should I be concerned that the other version of SQL requires 4GB of RAM and my RAM is already 80% used with a motherboard that only supports 4GB max?

Copper Contributor

The 4G requirement means that it will use all 4G, whereas the express version will only use 1G. So right now, even though you have 4G, you'll never use it all for ACT, the usage you're seeing to 80% are other OS functions. Standard is going to be faster beause it will use all the available RAM for SQL which means your queries will execute faster. 

To give you some idea about hardware, we have a dedicated ACT server with 10K RPM drives, 16 Processors and 32G of RAM, just to ruin ACT...but we also have 90 simultaneous users, so you might not have to go to that extreme, but a system upgrade may be needed. 

I would start with upgrading SQL and making sure that your system will only support 4G of RAM (seems sort of low); maybe try the Crucial Memory Scanner tool http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/index.aspx. If you can get more RAM in there, your OS can utilize 32G+, so get as much as you can so that your system will not use up all the resources without leaving some for SQL. 

Server 2008 Memory Limits:

(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_server...)

Hi There,

Did you get the speed problem resolved in the end, beacuse I have the exact same problem.

I upgraded our server to a new one with SBS 2011 and all the PC's are running Win 7.

I decided to move with the times and get Act 2011 and ditch the version we had been using for 10 years(ACT2000) without any real problems like yourself. If honest I wish I had not bothered as it has cost me a great deal of money in overall hardware costs and the result is a much slower system and de-moralised sales team as it is quicker to watch paint dry than to search through the database on ACT 2011.

I would appreciate any advice that you could give me regarding this matter?

All the Best

I was never able to fix the problem. I've been told the reason it runs so slow is because I'm using the SQL program that comes with Act! which only uses one processor.  I'm told the only way to solve this is to purchase SQL from Microsoft so Act! will run on all processors in the system.

I agree that upgrading from the old version was probably a mistake, but what real choices were there since the old software would not run on Server2008?   So instead you give up something that worked well for something that acts more like a beta release.  You can't default to search by company name.  The names aren't visisble in the display boxes.  The permissions don't behave the way you'd expect.   For such an old piece of software it sure has a lot of bugs.  But it does run on Server2008.. .so again, no real choice.

Yes I agree and I have the exact same problems with field content and names not showing fully etc.

I will check out the SQL issue and talk with my IT Guy and see what we can do?

I will keep you posted on my results.

Regards,

Martin

Copper Contributor

I upgraded our Act product this week.  We upgraded to 2012 Premium (access via web).  I have about 2000 contacts in the database.  (FYI we figure we're going to clear out around 250 of these shortly.)  Server is a 2008 R2 box with 8 gig of ram.  But the rest of the story is that 2012 seems to run fairly snappy.  I only have one server, so users are accessing via IE or Firefox.   Also, access with an iPhone seems to work pretty nicely, though we have only had limited opportunties to use it.

You post says you installed V 2011 on 5/24 (unless I read that wrong...).  I don't know one way or the other, but will Sage exchange your produt for V 2012???