Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act in the cloud...

Copper Contributor

Act in the cloud...

While I realize that Act has its online program, utilizing this necessitates several disjointed functions, least of which getting it onto a server, etc.  My question is, will Act ever offer hosted access like Salesforce.com?  This would make access so much easier.....ANY THOUGHTS!!!???
J. Preston Ehrler
Webvantix
www.webvantix.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act in the cloud...

Technically, that's available now. There are several companies that are providing remote hosting service for ACT! for the WEB for a monthly fee. I believe some of them also have available hosting service for synchronization.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Yes, but that's not what I'm talking about.  Specifically, going through those servies is very expensive for set up--in excess of $500.00.  I'm looking to know if Act itself will have a hosted solution that works like Salesforce, where you can sign up, import your data and voila, you're up and running--no 3rd party set-up, or outside hosting, with a license purchase, on and on--then what happens if that company shutters. 

The question is:  Will Act set up an end to end solution that enables the user to sign up, be billed monthly and that's it?

J. Preston Ehrler
Webvantix
www.webvantix.com

While Sage are looking at it, it's a big task to set up reliable hosting. The main issue you raise can be solved by ensuring you get regular backups and that Sage provide a subscription based licencing rather than purchase. Sage Australia is actually trying this with some hosts.

Here's one - http://www.acthosting.com.au/

One ACC has even got a cut-down version (not sure how) from as little as $10 per month - http://unhub.com/ZfgT

We are discussing with both to include Handheld Contact (for smart phones) and our new Accounts Master! to sync with accounting/ERP systems like Quickbooks

This dialogue misses what seems to me to be a very commonplace component of the analysis. Most people now have more than one computer. Anyone with a laptop, desktop, tablet, and perhaps certain smart phones will wrestle with multiple iterations of the same database. I have a cloud service (Microsoft OneDrive) and tried running Act from a dedicated drive that all of my electronics have access to. This is the third thing I've tried in order that synchronizing CRM might not become a second job. Sequel server settings do not allow for this, so I'm endlessly manually synchronizing. It seems to me that Act is wonderful if you're operating in 1990 or have 90 minutes per week free to plod through synchronization.
Bronze Super Contributor

Using HHC and RDB with Act! gives seamless integration with PCs, Tablets and Phones.

You need to have these implemented yourself to provide what you want.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

Synchronization shouldn't take that long for most systems, unless there's an issue ... I also second the use of HHC for tablets and smartphones