Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act for Web and Windows XP

Accepted Solution Solved
Tuned Listener
Accepted Solution

Act for Web and Windows XP

I am experiencing connection issues to Act now that I've got more than 10 people using the program. The database is currently housed on our Windows XP 'server'....  and from what I have read, it maxes out at 10 connections.  I then thought that perhaps moving to Act for Web might be a good solution since 4 of our 14 Act users are synchronizing.  But if I keep the Windows XP (and not actually get a real server) will that actually help me around this problem, or will we experience the same issues?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author AshliMac
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act for Web and Windows XP

Given the option, it's always the way to go.

For 15 users, make sure you have 2GB RAM (minimum) and 7200RPM (or faster) drives

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Super Contributor

Hi, you would continue to have the same problem. You need to get a real server OS, or you should look at having one of Sages ACT Hosting Partners host it. They have the correct server etc.
Hope that helps.
Jeremy Wesley
MCSE+I, MCDBA, MCSD, ACC, APT, A++
www.act.expert
Have you seen eXact Contacts? iPhone & iPad App that syncs directly with your Act! Database.
Tuned Listener

Thanks ActWhiz....that's pretty much what I figured.  Thanks for the clarification.
Tuned Listener

Another question re: servers, if you don't mind!  Is it recommended that ACT! be hosted on its own server or can I put the database on our main server (Windows Server 2003)??

XP has a Microsoft hard limit of 10 concurrent users... with the random web traffic that usually exists, this often means that 6-8 concurrent users is all you can expect reliably.

As to running on the other server, that would depend on what else is running on the server and how busy it is.

Obviously, performance would be better on it's own server, but you could try it on the main server (if it's not to busy) and see how it runs. If users need more speed, then look at a dedicated server.
Tuned Listener

Thank you so much for the very prompt reply. I'm thinking dedicated server is the way to go.
Solution
Accepted by topic author AshliMac
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Given the option, it's always the way to go.

For 15 users, make sure you have 2GB RAM (minimum) and 7200RPM (or faster) drives
Tuned Listener

That's great info, Mike.  I will ensure those specs are met when we move forward with the new server.  And thanks for being such a great support!  I really had no idea where to turn with my ACT! issues before this forum and with reliable posts like yours, it has been a very beneficial experience.

Actually, there has always been an on-line ACT! support forum at act.com... but it hadn't been that obvious on their site.