Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act for Web 17 slow to open database from browsers

Copper Contributor

Act for Web 17 slow to open database from browsers

Hi, 

I just found that Act for web v17 is trying to reach 207.97.197.145 (protexys licensing) when you try to access the /APFW website and when you try to logon to a databse from any browsers.

In the case where you have a server with no internet connection or strong firewall rules, you end up with a 4 minutes waiting time to load a database ( I guess there is a timeout after 4 minutes of trying to reach this protecis site )

I know the connection to the protecis site is needed to check is a business care is assosiated with the serial # but this is a big problem for company who need maximum firewall security or for those you want to use AFW only on the LAN. 

I need a workaround so ACT! don't try to reach the protexis server. Whitout a workaround, many company I know will never upgrade to act 17 and many others wont buy Act! at all. 

Please help. Thank you

Francis Joyal.

Contactik

Francis Joyal
Act Technical Support @ Contactik
Copper Contributor

Re: Act for Web 17 slow to open database from browsers

I got a second client with the same problem today. 

please help

Francis Joyal
Silver Super Contributor

Someone had the same  problem over here and turning off UAC on the server fixed it for them.  I'm not sure why that made a difference but either you could turn it off or you might be able to figure out why turning it off fixed the problem and resolve it without having to resort to turning of the UAC.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Copper Contributor

Already tried that whit both clients.

If swiftpage could just give us a way to shorten the ''timeout'' when it try to reach the business care activation server it would be great.

Francis Joyal
Copper Contributor

Here are some ideas.

1) I personally always do a Telephone Activation, so unregister and register by phone.

2) Durkin Computing has a Free add-on for ACT' which disables ACT!’s ability to get the updates from the ACT.com web site without re-configure your firewall. This add on for ACT! will disable the auto update feature by changing the internal ACT! URL so that it is not able to connect to the FTP site".

https://www.durkincomputing.com/FreeACTAddons.aspx

*Email Durkin to see if it works on your ACT version.

3) Disable updates from Settings menu, varies per ACT versions.

4) Let us know if you finds the answer or else, I am not moving from v16

Copper Contributor

ill try that next time and let you know ! 

thank you

Francis Joyal