Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act!.exe high memory usage, out of memory errors

Copper Contributor

Act!.exe high memory usage, out of memory errors

[ Edited ]

Hi, we are running Act! v16 Premium (SP1 Hotfix 2) on a dedicated server VM (SQL Standard 2008 R2) and around 30 workstations.

A few days ago, most users started to get various errors in Act!, most of which reference something to do with being out of memory. When I check Task Manager, the Act!.exe process is using around 1.4GB of memory. The normal usage for a user NOT having the issue is 100-200MB. Act! frequently goes Not Responding (when looking up a contact) and the out of memory errors come up when navigating the contact's tabs and I can always get the error to appear when trying to open a file from the Documents tab.

If I close and open Act!, it returns to the normal 100-200MB of memory usage for about 30 seconds, then rapidly increases to 300MB, 500MB, 800MB, and then 1.3GB. After a while it grows to 1.4GB and then the memory errors start. I'm assuming it's hitting the limit of how much memory Act! is designed to use. Every once in a while, a reboot of the PC allows the user to use Act! for longer (maybe 30 minutes to an hour) before the memory usage increases to 1.4GB.

I have disabled (completely removed) AV on a few of the workstations and the Act! SQL server to eliminate that as the issue. I've checked and re-checked for any recently installed software, updates, etc. and found nothing. I've re-installed Act! on the PCs with no improvement.

I tested using the local Demo database on a few of the PCs and they experience the same high memory usage and errors when in the Demo database, so I don't think it's related to the server or networking at all. This also seems to eliminate any issues with how many users are logged into the production database (on the server), etc. It has to be something with Act! itself on the PCs. I ran Process Monitor to watch the Act!.exe process when the memory usage is high, but the process isn't doing anything (and the CPU usage of the process is near 0 to reflect that)

Nothing has changed in the environment -- no new applications on the workstations, Windows Update is completely disabled, no server updates have been installed, etc. It seemed to start overnight and is affecting approximately 20 of the 30 workstations. I tested using Act! without any other applications running and same result.

I spent hours and hours on the phone with Act! support and received call backs from higher levels -- they cannot find the cause of the issue. I'm hoping someone else has experienced this or be able to point me in the right direction. I'm thinking an upgrade to v18 is in order, but the production database has some custom tabs, etc. and we will need to test compatibility (so an immediate/quick upgrade is not an option).

Thanks!

act memory 2.pngact memory 3.pngact memory 4.pngact memory.pngact memory 5.png

Re: Act!.exe high memory usage, out of memory errors

That is quite peculiar. Of the users who are experiencing the issue, do any of them use the Outlook integration? If so, one possible cause could be the Outlook e-mail history recording function containing a lot of email messages which are classified as "not attached" in the queue. To check this, double-click the icon in the system tray that looks like an envelope and check the Not Attached tab. If there are a lot of emails listed, delete them. 

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com
Copper Contributor

Some of them use Outlook integration, yes. I did read in the KB about the "not attached" queue causing a similar issue. However, on a few of the PCs I have completely re-installed Act! and did not set up Outlook integration. Immediately after re-install, the PCs still had the same issue even with just logging into the demo database. I did take one of the problem PCs with Outlook integration and clear the "not attached" queue, which had under 100 messages. That didn't help.

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm thinking about trying to upgrade to 16.3 (SP3) since we're on 16.1.

I see that 16.2 (SP2) addressed an issue #103704 "Memory Leak" issue. Where can I find details on what that issue was?

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36573/~/what-issues-have-been-fixed-in-act!-updates%...

We don't have any public documentation which discusses it in any greater detail than that, but I can tell you after doing some digging is that the issue primarily affected large databases with lots of histories, until reaching around 1.3 GB, which if we're going by memory consumption alone, seems to match your situation. In that case, I would recommend applying the update.

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com
Copper Contributor

Thanks Elise. Another community member alerted me that there was a fix at one point for a memory leak like you described. Because our issue happens in the demo database, I don't think it's related, but I will apply the update on a few computers anyway to test.

Of course today it seems that when Act!.exe is using 1.3 or 1.4GB of RAM and I close and re-open Act!, it works fine for an extended period of time. When I've been testing the past few days, closing/opening Act! (waiting 10 minutes in between) would then immediately build up to 1.3GB RAM again. It's much harder to test possible solutions now! I can't just close and open Act! to see if it still takes excessive RAM.

Copper Contributor

Unfortunately SP3 did not fix the issue. RAM usage still shoots up to 1.3GB regardless of which database is open (our production database on the server or Act2014Demo database locally on the PC).

Sort of at the end here...any other ideas?

Copper Contributor

New finding -- because the issue is happening to most users again today (with SP3 already installed as mentioned in my last post), I took a PC having the problem and ran Process Monitor on act!.exe process while launching Act! and signing into the local Act2014Demo database.

I found that the Demo database loads to the Welcome screen by default and the RAM usage stayed at 100MB...UNTIL I clicked on "Contacts"...then it shot up to 1.3 to 1.4GB every time. If I went from Welcome to Groups or Companies, the RAM usage would stay at 100MB.

In Process Monitor, I could see that when I click Contacts, the act!.exe process makes numerous requests to read Internet Explorer settings from the registry (including checking security zones, etc.). I also briefly saw it create some files in the Temporary Internet Files folder.

I already had IE open, so all I did was go to Internet Options>Delete (under browsing history)>check all the boxes>and click Delete. I didn't even close IE after that -- just re-launched Act! and confirmed the problem went away. RAM usage is now at 130MB after clicking Contacts and the Contacts page loads in under 5 seconds where as before it would take 30 seconds while the RAM usage increased to 1.3GB.

Before deleting the IE temp files, I had opened/closed Act! and clicked Contacts 10-15 times just to verify it happened every time. I've closed/opened Act! another 10-15 times now that the IE temp file have been cleared and it has not happened once.

So while I seem to have narrowed this down a bit, I now need to figure out how the Act! contacts screen uses the Temporary Internet Files and why. Also, rebooting seems to temporarily resolve the issue as well, so I'm thinking that rebooting must also clear something from the temp files.

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've confirmed with 100% certainty on multiple PCs now that clearing the IE Temporary Internet Files temporarily fixes the issue. However, it returns within a few hours. I took 3 PCs earlier this morning and opened/closed Act! 10 times. All 10 times the RAM usage shot up to 1.3GB. I then closed Act!, cleared IE temp files, re-opened Act!, and confirmed the memory usage stayed around 100-120MB.

Rebooting still seems to solve the issue, but only sometimes. Not enough testing done with that yet to know 100% though.

Started looking into an upgrade to v18 as we don't see many other options at this point.

Administrator

Do you have any 3rd party addons enabled in Act at all?
Does changing the startup view to contacts (or anything other than the welcome screen) have any affect on the issue?