Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! connect link in non default virtual directory for Act! Companion

Astute Commentator

Act! connect link in non default virtual directory for Act! Companion

Hi,

I have installed the Act! connect link on our server and the Act! Companion app works with the demo database which is on /apfw.

But my database is not in /apfw but in another virtual directory.

I tried xxxx.g2c.cloud-elements.com/databasename but it does not work, login failed.

I'm sure about the login user and password.

What do I change in the settings to point to my custom virtual directory folder?

Thanks.

Qui.

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Act! connect link in non default virtual directory for Act! Companion

Via the Tools/Web Site Administration/Add/Remove Database Tab, you can place your database in BOTH the default APFW virtual directory AND your custom virtual directory.  This should solve the problem.

Phillip R. Price
ACT! Certified Consultant
Automated Sales Tools, LLC
http://www.automatedsalestools.com
Phone: 1-866-915-9399
Astute Commentator

Thanks for your answer. I know that but I don't want to add my database to the APFW site.

I want to use a custom site.

It should be possible.

Thanks

Copper Elite Contributor

Yes, I believe so, but you'll have to modify some of the settings in the C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act.Web.API\Web.config, which I have never been able to fully clarify and get to work.  Is anyone aware of any documentation on this?

Phillip R. Price
ACT! Certified Consultant
Automated Sales Tools, LLC
http://www.automatedsalestools.com
Phone: 1-866-915-9399
Administrator

Hi all,

I've done a bit of testing on this. Here are my findings:

• Act! Connect Link will allow you to access the databases set up for web access in the APFW virtual directory in IIS as default.
  • The virtual directory can be changed, but only one virtual directory is supported at a time.

So, if you want to set up Act! Connect Link to provide API access to a database that only exists in a custom virtual directory, and not any of the ones in APFW, or any other virtual directory, you need to edit the following config file:

C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act! Web API Hosted\act.web.api.hosting.exe.config

Find the <appSettings> section, then within this section, before </appSettings>, add the following line:

<add key="VirtualDirectory" value="MyDirectory" />

Change the value to your virtual directory name, then save the file.

Ensure your database is configured for web access though Tools > Web Site Administration.

Restart the services for Act! Connect Link - ActConnectLink and ActWebApiService.

You should now be able to authorize with your database in a custom virtual directory through the API using Act! Connect Link.