Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! and GDPR Compliance

Copper Contributor

Re: Act! and GDPR Compliance

Exactly what GDPR issues are impacting Act! (or vice versa) ?

Nothing that isn't doable: 

1. I need a controller / processor contract with the Act! cloud provider.

2. I need to note in privacy statements that processing occurs in another EU country.

3. I need to be sure no backups occur outside the EU.

4. I need to manage the age of my contacts in the dbase. 

5. I need new fields to manage consent on new records. 

There are more .. 

Copper Contributor

So points 1,2, & 3 are firmly with Swiftpage and if you are not getting answers you need to escalate.

Managing the age of the contacts ? Well that can be done from the create date, alternatively the create date may actually be relevant because it's the data retention policy that will actually determine this. And this will be based on other criteria e.g. Client = Retain for 7 Yrs from last Transaction (to align with accounting reqs) A 'Prospect' maybe 1 year from point of last engagement etc etc.

Adding new Consent fields ? Add what you need, and possibly make them Mandatory (depending on field type). I suggest for each Marketing Consent Type (Email, Phone, Postal) you have an Optin Date & Yes/No and Opt Out Date.

In terms of Consent of existing records I would advise adding a new status field that is set to 'Legacy' or Pre-GDPR' 

Does that help ?

Hi Adrian,

Yes, it is helpful.

I think retain for 7 years from last note would be ok, our Act! isn't linked with our accounting software. Although there are some records that have just name & address still.

As to consent fields, first I have to finalise the consent questions we are going to ask .. once I have done that the rest shouldn't be so hard.

Copper Contributor

Hi Mark,

I wasn't suggesting that Act! was linked to you accounting software, it was about 'aligning' to the HMRC requirements in terms of retaining records for 7 years.

Good luck with the rest - it's not difficult really.

On a GDPR compatible controller processor agreement Swiftpage are blanking me, they claim not to know anything about it.

Copper Contributor

Swiftpage can only be defined as a Processor wrt Act! Premium Cloud, I've chased this up with relevant contacts.

HI Adrian, yes, that was my thinking, we have act premium cloud.

The ICO told me we need such an agreement and reading Article 28 it is spelled out pretty clearly.  

I'm also baffled by the silence on this topic. I posted a thread a while about the eMarketing tool which doesn't actually allow you to opt users out manually if they ring up and ask you to remove them from the database or you add customers manually and ask them for their opt in at time of creation

So we've switched to MailChimp and are looking at whether or not Act! is even viable as a UK customer as they are yet to confirm about cloud it seems

I completely agree.   I have had to switch to Mailchimp to allow users to opt in.  I'm now seriously considering whether to continue with ACT! when the subscription runs out.  I have been very disappointed with the lack of support for GDPR compliance.