Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! and GDPR Compliance

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Act! and GDPR Compliance

Indeed there is no way to do this without "external tools". ACT has all the "raw data" nicely stored, but no way to do a lookup combining two areas like histories of certain types and contact fields like "create Date".

Melville-Schellmann has a tool called MSControl, which would be available in English as well. As the tool is rather complicated to handle, we could also offer analyses like the desired one as a service. Pls. send me a PM if you are interested.

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de
Administrator

As mentioned - you can see the age of a record by looking at the create date field, and you can use the "Contact Activity" lookup to find records that have not been changed within a certain time-frame.

We are keen to ensure that Act enables users to become GDPR compliant, and we want to make this as easy as possible. I appreciate that the start date is approaching, and we do hope to have some more specific guidelines and advice available in plenty of time.
Copper Contributor

Appreciate your response, however, the "plenty of time" point has already passed.  Everyone should now be in the implementation phase of GDPR compliance not the planning phase.  At the moment I am still not entirely sure how I will  integrate ACT into our response to GDPR requirements.  The May deadline is exactly that, not a date when we can commence "working towards" but the point at which any of us could face sanctions from the ICO under GDPR.  Please can you impress upon the powers that be at Swiftpage that this is not a nice add-on that customers are looking for but an absolute requirement!  In the last week I have had compliance enquiries from two major public sector customers and this is clearly going to be a factor in their future procurement strategies; I anticipate more.  The least I expect to be able to give them is reassurance that the personal data that we hold will be securely encrypted!  Analysing the age of information in ACT is something that I am sure we will all come up with our own work-arounds for, based on our own needs.  Encryption and data security is fundamental to the product and not something we cannot deal with locally.  Swiftpage please step up to the mark quickly!

Administrator

[ Edited ]

I've passed all your feedback and feature requests on to our developers for consideration, and we do take this sort of interaction on-board quite heavily when planning for future releases. I understand your concern for the upcoming GDPR changes, it's going to mean a huge shift to a lot of businesses workflows. We absolutely intend to support and help businesses become compliant, using our software.

That said, I do know that data encryption is not something currently we have in the pipeline. Having spoken with our product team, we're satisfied that Act! provides a secure environment for data storage that's fit for purpose without encryption. While I can appreciate that some users may have a use-case for encrypted data, this would be something they'd need to achieve with other 3rd party software.

As it stands, we are confident that Act! can be used in it's current form in a way that is compliant with GDPR rules - which are all about making sure that reasonable checks and measures are in place with regards to data security, storage and processing.

The plan is for us to release documentation which will guide users on features of Act! that can be used to assist in restricting access, recording consent, removing aged data and other general practices. We hope to have this released soon, to give businesses time to internalise the new workflow before May.

Copper Contributor

Look forward to hearing more in due course! Smiley Happy

Anything yet on guidance promised 4 weeks hence re GDPR compliance
I too operate ACT for Web and current absence of any guidance for my biggest repository of customer data is troubling

I find this silence baffling. 

It is obvious that departments like Sales & Marketing in B2B & B2C organisations are going to be processing private identifiable information on their target customers, precisely the information that GDPR is targeting and which becomes firmly the property of the data subject themselves after 25th May 2018. And Sales & Marketing staff are using CRM databases to manage their communications, CRM databases like Act!

Producers of CRM databases can bury their heads in the sand and hope this all blows over, which seems to be Act! policy, or they can proactively support their clients in their work to achieve and maintain GDPR compliance. 

I know which type of company I would rather be working with! 

Could we have an update on where ACT! is with further help on GDPR, including relevant documentation? I am not impressed at all with the lack of information and support.
Copper Contributor

For anyone that is concerned about GDPR compliance - remember that 'Act! Out Of The Box' cannot really be made 'compliant' It is how it is customised and how it is used that will make it compliant - no different to Excel. All organisations will require supporting GDPR policies and processes to help in this. For information I'm happy to share the attached infographic which we circulated to all of our clients last year that was designed to assist them in 'making Act! compliant'

Hi Adrian, 

Thanks for your infographic, it is useful. 

I have managed to cross off most GDPR issues from my list now, except Act! which is still causing headaches. 

I didn't expect with just 6 weeks to go to still be having issues with it.