Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! and GDPR Compliance

Act! and GDPR Compliance

GDPR comes into force May 2018. 

Act! seem to have been quite quiet on this. 

Is there some guidance on Act! Premium (Web) and the GDPR? 

Administrator

Re: Act! and GDPR Compliance

You can find out more about our stance on the upcoming GDPR changes here:
http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38964

We will be releasing more specific information on how to use Act! in line with GDPR in the near future.

Hi Jon, thanks for that, but it isn't a lot of information considering most of it has been available for many months now. 

We need Act! to help us comply, with plenty of time. Time though is running out. 

Bronze Elite Contributor

Perhaps some suggested templates to send would help get us started?

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

I expect many EU Act! users will be using the Consent argument as their legal method for GDPR compliance, that or Legitimate Interest. Either way it would be helpful if Act! could indicate ways to manage fields in the dbase to cope with the requirements of these legal methods.

For Act! cloud users, GDPR seems to suggest that encryption is a good way to use the cloud, such that should data be stolen, it cannot be accessed. At the moment my understanding is that my cloud Act! dbase is not encrypted which concerns me somewhat. Has Act! taken a view wrt encryption and GDPR, and what is that view? It would be good to know!

Copper Contributor

As a general question, linked but not directly following from the previous posts - Is it possible to encrypt an ACT database that is located on a local pc/server?  (we are currently running ACT! Premium v19.2 with all the updates installed) With respect to GDPR we are vulnerable to data breach both from hacking and also by physical theft of the PC/server.  It would be reassuring to know that the data was encrypted.

I would like to know if it is possible to encrypt an Act! cloud database. 

And if Act! are going to make it easy to do - and in plenty of time before GDPR! 

Administrator

Encryption of data isn't something that Swiftpage provides an option for, unfortunately - either on desktop or cloud.

Act! securely holds your database using a username/password system - and the security standards of Microsoft's SQL server.

If you wanted to investigate the possibility of adding additional layers of security, it might be worth consulting one of our ACC's who may be able to help with a custom solution.
Copper Contributor

For EU customers, with GDPR almost upon us this is a really disappointing response from Swiftpage. Encryption of data held in the database would seem to be a minimal response to GDPR and one that we should rightly be able to expect from the software vendor. So far Swiftpage seem to have done very little to respond. It feels as if very little attention is being paid to the needs of UK and EU users of ACT. Apart from the very few and very basic blog posts that have been published Swiftpage has put out very little to reassure its EU customers regarding compliance or to give any direction on how ACT should be used in a way that will be meet with the GDPR requirements. Although our team here at QED have been enthusiastic adopters, adapters and advocates of ACT, I am beginning to loose faith. Does Swiftpage not want to cultivate its EU customer base, or is it just too time consuming and expensive when the majority of users are outside the EU?

Indeed.

another simple feature which could help in GDPR, is a clear ranking of the age of contacts, or the time since there was last a communication, as GDPR would like us to clean records that reach a certain age. I don't see an easy way to do this in Act! at the moment.