Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act Web Reports - No page breaks

Act Web Reports - No page breaks

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

I have an interesting scenario where a custom report has been created and set with page breaks (played with different sections too). Now the report is previewed correctly using the desktop client; there is one company per page.

However, when trying to print a web report, there are no page breaks and the entire report is printed as one single page (page 1 of 1).

Has anyone come across this before? Am I missing something simple?

Thanks.

Edit - Probably would help if I mentioned it's Act Premium for Web 2009.

Copper Contributor

Re: Act Web Reports - No page breaks

Is "Enable shrink to fit" checked? (I.E. Click the arrow next to the printer icon and select Page Setup, you will see the option in there, make sure it is un-checked or your print preview settings will be overridden by that option.)
Employee

I think this has to do with the fact that reports done from within a browser are "marked up" aka in HTML, and since web pages don't have "pages" like word documents, the report has no page breaks. Just a limitation of being in a browser.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Copper Contributor

I don't mess with reports though ACT because they are so cumbersome to use, but I'm going to have to soon enough to get some important data that gets pulled on a regular basis. 

Is there a way to use CSS comments in reports? If so maybe a simple <div style="page-break-after:always"></div> would do the trick.

Platinum Elite Contributor

No. Reports have no true page orientation. They can do a page break after an execution section but within the compiling of a section there won't be any page break. Between execution of sections the report can determine if enough page space is available for the next executable section and page break when there isn't enough space. 

Regarding reports on  ACT! for the WEB, all pagination is lost.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Exactly Roy, that's what I am seeing.

What puzzled me was the fact that I had Sage over the phone argue the fact that it does work for them and it was working out of the box.

Of course, they could not send me a screenshot or any form of proof that it did work which is highly irritating. 

Can't seem to be able to save as a Word document either to edit and include page breaks as it loses all formatting.

Any suggestions would help.

Without to much bragging I've done things with the ACT! reports that I don't think others could duplicate. One report I created had over 700 lines of VB script programming code.

The other problem you describe comes from the nature of the conversion of printer prepared output to HTML. HTML doesn't do pagination so a paginated document can't retain pagination when converted to HTML.With ACT! for the WEB, everything is transferred to your computer as HTML.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Could there be any other alternatives?

I can't even see an option to save the report as a PDF/Document/etc. 

For any other results the report would have to be compiled locally and that would require the ACT! program in stalled on the local system.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I shudder to think the speed implications of Act over WAN.

Might be time for a bit of testing.

I find it a little limiting however that Act cannot support such a feature. Especially since Sage expressed that this was achievable.

Thanks for the help Roy.